Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please have a look at the questionnaire page if you have a spare minute.

media

Author Topic: Advice please  (Read 899 times)

Feebs

Advice please
« on: February 16, 2022, 09:35:33 AM »

Morning everyone. After my mirena fitting in December I was given an estradot 100 patch, (an increase from a 50 patch and 1 pump estrogel) but after a month my anxiety/panic really ramped up and the nurse suggested a change to estrogel 4 pumps to try to provide a more regular dose and have some control, along with low dose beta blockers to be used as and when.
During the review a week later I mentioned my very sore breasts and she advised to give it a week and if there was no change to reduce to 3 pumps (2 in the morning and 1 in the evening). If anything the pain got worse so I went down to 3 pumps around 10 days ago. After a few days my breasts are back to normal and pain free but I am waking up hot in the night with the most horrendous feelings of panic as soon as I open my eyes. Yesterday I couldn’t find my debit card in a shop and started having a panic attack and got really warm-it seems to take literally nothing much for my heart to start pounding and panic to appear.
I am really confused-it seemed as though the 4 pumps were too much because of the sore breasts but now I’m down to 3 I feel like I need to increase again. I am 51 and still peri and believe that my symptoms are being caused by huge fluctuations. Would a higher dose of estrogel help override the fluctuations or exacerbate them? Hope someone can help 🙏

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Advice please
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2022, 12:48:13 PM »

Morning.   How R your periods, they can interfere with HRT.

How about increasing the dose every 3rd nights a week to see if the symptoms ease a bit?  Some find that keeping a mood/food/symptom diary useful to chart progress.  It may be too much at once.

As for betablockas - I took them every night rather than as necessary. 

Feebs

« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2022, 01:20:09 PM »

Hi, thanks for replying. Before starting HRT 18 months ago my periods had become lighter and closer together (every 23/24 days). Since HRT they have been even lighter lasting 1 day, but since the mirena I have had light bleeding/spotting every day for around 8 weeks: I think this is easing off now so have no way of knowing as have not had a ‘proper’ bleed.
I do try and keep a diary of anxious/panicky flare ups but not seeing much pattern-I can have 7-10 days of feeling ok ish before things come crashing down again.
I like the idea of altering the dose of estrogel (so if I understand you correctly you think every 3rd evening?)
I take 10mg propranolol each morning ( I feel desperate to take it when I wake up) and usually get by on this but have occasions where I need a second or third tablet later in the day to calm my anxious feelings.
I really appreciate your suggestions!

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2022, 02:32:26 PM »

BBs can really help ease those early morning anxiety surges caused by cortisol.  Which is why I took mine at night - initially 80mg 3 times a day followed by 40mg at night.  Cut down to 20mg after a few years.

Every 3rd evening and see?  It may take a while to get a regime that helps.  Dependant on the reaction then you can increase or decrease as necessary.  I don't know how long it takes to adjust?  A Trial and Error perhaps?

Feebs

« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2022, 02:49:01 PM »

Yes the anxiety surge is definitely what I am experiencing as soon as I wake up-it’s such an awful feeling, maybe I should try taking my BB at night and see if that helps.
I will experiment a bit with the gel I think and see what happens-thanks so much 🙂