Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Not a Forum member? You can still subscribe to our Free Newsletter

media

Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Cystitis  (Read 4679 times)

Gracie

Re: Cystitis
« Reply #15 on: February 12, 2022, 12:24:01 PM »

I just want to confirm everything said above. I was suffering the same symptoms as you until I started treatment for Vaginal Atrophy.
No more feelings of bladder infections just the symptoms from a lack of oestrogen down there that mimics so brilliantly urine infection!
Don't delay, start treatment as soon as you can.

skkb

« Reply #16 on: February 12, 2022, 12:33:25 PM »

That’s so interesting thankyou. I’ve looked at the symptoms for VA and my only ones from the list of 13 are occasional genital itching, vaginal discharge and frequent urination. I don’t have any pain other than the heavy, dragging ache. No pain or burning when I pee (it’s always been like that since the first time I had cystitis. So I guess you could say it’s quite mild !! So do you think it could still be VA??

Flossieteacake

« Reply #17 on: February 12, 2022, 12:36:14 PM »

Frequent urination is a symptom. Maybe yours is not severe yet which is brilliant. With the discharge, mine is like water. I was not even aware it was discharge and thought it was sweat!

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #18 on: February 12, 2022, 01:50:50 PM »

What's your problem, is it that the medication is often seen as "HRT" : where as it may well be vaginal atrophy :  maybe stop looking elsewhere for 'symptoms' ?  There are several signs, from which you are describing seems like VA.  The longer you wait the more intense your symptoms may become.  Dryness at it's worst can cause the vaginal lips to 'seal' which requires surgical intervention.  Rare but it can happen when women are a) not aware of VA so think that they have 'to live with it' and b) when women are too embarrassed to speak to a medical professional.

Don't be shy, they have seen it all B4!  A list of 13  :-\.  Does that include 'razor blades up there' ?  Have a lookC at the 'sylc' and 'yes' websites, you may be able to get freebies ;-). In the mean time use something like KYJelly or 'vagisel' - neither will plump up the vaginal tissues but may ease any soreness/itching.  Take regular pain relief until you can speak to a GP or Nurse Practitioner.

skkb

« Reply #19 on: February 12, 2022, 05:44:17 PM »

CLKD as I’m still having HRT on 3 days each week it didn’t occur to me that it could be low estrogen causing my problem. I’ve been on HRT for 20 years and gradually over time reduced the dosage to 3 days each week, which seems to work well for my meno symptoms. I’m definitely not averse to trying vagisel or similar. I will definitely look into VA though. I just wasn’t sure that my symptoms are VA related!!

CLKD

« Reply #20 on: February 12, 2022, 09:03:14 PM »

Let us know how you get on. 

As oestrogen levels drop the body may become dry inside and out .........

skkb

« Reply #21 on: February 13, 2022, 08:01:29 AM »

If I’m lucky enough to get a doctors appointment (which isn’t easy at the moment……think I was lucky last week) I’ll ask the questions. Unfortunately my surgery won’t prescribe anything for the first time without a face to face with the doctor!!

skkb

« Reply #22 on: February 13, 2022, 08:30:54 AM »

Just found Vagisil available on Amazon!!  is this the same as the one that is prescribed?

Gynaikeíos

« Reply #23 on: February 13, 2022, 08:55:30 AM »

Hello skkb.good morning.

The names of treatments are soooo confusing!  If you have found vagisil check it  is a  version  you can  use internally  and  externally. Is it a brand that contains scent/ fragrance? I made a mistake with a  moisturiser marketed as for dryness which has scent. It made me uncomfortable.
These creams and  gels without oestrogen can only be a moisturiser, so  it's  best to  use brands that are for very delicate skin even though you  don't think you have any problems  :)

For me vagisan (Wolf's ) is a good moisturiser cream. The for inside and outside one. Annoyingly the cheaper option is only externally.  I  needed microscope to find that information on amazon!
Other Ladies have better recommendations, maybe?  :)

CLKD

« Reply #24 on: February 13, 2022, 09:05:48 AM »

Ring your surgery and ask for an emergency app.?  You do not require an examination, an over the 'phone call should suffice.   If you don't ask you won't get and this needs attention ASAP.  Unless you have an appt. booked ?

The prescribed treatments are:

'vagifem'
'ovestin' and there are newer preparations being trialled.

Over the Counter treatment may relief soreness but won't help with the loss of oestrogen.

skkb

« Reply #25 on: February 13, 2022, 10:34:04 AM »

Thanks Gynaikeios and CLKD, I’m at the surgery in the morning (for blood tests) so just the nurse but will ask for a doctors appointment. I did purchase some “dipstick “ test for UTI and they are still showing a slight infection. Finish the meds on Tuesday. Not going to sit on this as I really want it clearing up before I go away. I have got the D Mannose which I “may” take once I finish the med…….another lady on this thread had tried it and it seemed to be helpful but that’s before she was diagnosed with VA!!

Flossieteacake

« Reply #26 on: February 13, 2022, 11:20:27 AM »

Vagisel is not estrogen so will not help you with any atrophy symptoms. I hope your appointment goes well tomorrow.

CLKD

« Reply #27 on: February 13, 2022, 12:50:47 PM »

The Nurse should be able to advise and if necessary, speak to a GP whilst you are there.  You can of course, insist upon it.  Dipstick  :-\. what do you consider infection?  Unless a urine sample is sent to a Lab., there is no sure way of finding out.

skkb

« Reply #28 on: February 13, 2022, 01:46:33 PM »

Hi, the dipstick testing is for 10 different things but the top two, leukocytes and nitrate are the ones to look at for infection. The colour change clearly indicates infection, or not. They also test for blood, sugar and keystones amongst others. The colour change is very noticeable if there are bacteria present/blood etc,  nothing changes if not. I have found them really accurate, I wanted to know if I actually had an infection at all. The doctor did a dipstick test at the surgery and used the same ones as I had purchased online. I guess they’re not 100% but a useful indicator and so far they have worked for me.

CLKD

« Reply #29 on: February 13, 2022, 01:57:48 PM »

What time of day do you take the urine samples, this may make a difference. 

You've sent me on a mission now  ;D

NHS website

What is normal range for leukocyte esterase?

A normal range in the bloodstream is between 4,500-11,000 WBCs per microliter. A normal range in the urine is lower than in the blood, and may be from 0-5 WBCs per high power field (wbc/hpf).

One can also have leukocytes in a urine sample but not have an infection.

What causes elevated leukocyte esterase?
Infection

A urinary tract infection (or UTI) is the most commonly occurring reason for increased levels of leukocytes in the urine. High levels indicate that the immune system is trying to fight off a fungal, bacterial or parasitic infection by fungus.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2022, 02:02:39 PM by CLKD »
Pages: 1 [2] 3