Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Mobile version of the Forum Click here

media

Author Topic: Hot flushes and sleep problems can’t take HRT advice on any other solutions?  (Read 1200 times)

Jett

Hi friends,

I tried HRT for my peri-meno symptoms but it made my uterine fibroids flare up, bleed and give me pain.  I am waiting on an ultrasound scan to see if anything can be done about them.

In the meantime my sleep has got so bad with adrenaline rushes and hot flushes what seems like every 30mins all through the night.  I previously managed the sleep and hot flashes with, sage, magnesium and montmorency cherry extract but it’s stopped working.  I feel like I am going off my head through lack of sleep.

I was reading sometimes antidepressants are prescribed to help with sleep and hot flushes.  I wondered if anyone else is using antidepressants for this and it’s working for them? I am not depressed but have pretty bad anxiety on and off.

I am 51, hadn’t had a period since Jan 21 until the HRT kicked off the bleeding in November then had one other and nothing since so think they have perhaps stopped again.

Any ideas at all would be really appreciated, thanks in advance for any answers

Jxx

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them

Hysterectomy?   Although major surgery, if fibroids are problematic?

If you are having anxiety then appropriate anti-anxiety medication may be worth trying.  Or a betablocka - my GP prescribed them in 2002 and I stopped in 2022.  Worked well. 

MayB keeping a mood/food/symptom diary to chart symptoms?  Let us know how you get on.

Jett

Thanks very much.

I will have a read about Beta Blockers.  I have been managing the fibroids with herbal supplements and diet but the HRT had quite a severe effect.

I will let you know how it goes.

All best wishes xx

CLKD

Hormonal upheaval may well trigger bleeds etc..  Could you use a patch-type HRT?

Jett

It was evorel 25 plus Provera 10mg tablets- I didn’t even get as far as the provera tablets as I was supposed to start them mid way through and the fibroids kicked off in a big was after 8 days.  Do you think it would be worth trying it again? I have a phone call with the doctor this week as the lack of sleep is making it hard to keep a straight head and do my job properly.

Jxx

CLKD

I can't help as to which HRT would be 'better'.  If you don't get any joy with the GP you could send Dr Currie a query for which there is a charge. 

Limpy

Sending Dr Currie an email (as CLKD says there is a charge) would be a good way of getting information, geared towards your specific concerns, to give to your GP. Good luck.

Jett

Thanks both very much, an email to Dr Currie is a great idea. Will let you know how I get on.

All the best

Jxx

Jett

Just an update as I said I would let folks know how I got on.  When I spoke to the doctor she said I could try a combined patch so I have been in Evorel conti patches for the past fortnight and am waiting to see if my fibroids kick off.

So far I have felt less anxious, my headaches have gone and my sleeping is starting to improve.

I am 51, the last real period I had was Jan 2021.

I have been reading people avoid the conti patches and prefer to stay in a cyclical regime.  Are there side effects from being on a conti patch that folk don’t get when the progesterone is only taken for 2 weeks out the month?

I am hoping things stay the way they are or keep improving but I know it’s early days.  Any info on the pros and cons of the conti patch would be gratefully received.

All the best,

Jett xx

Dotty

A lot of ladies are quite happy on a continuous regime x

Nas

I would try and get the fibroids removed sooner rather than later.
I think Oestrogen feeds them and they could then become problematic for you? 

Conti is good if you have been period free for a year at least.
Otherwise you could get erratic bleeding.
Some stay on sequi to get the more predictable bleed.

Best of luck xx