Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 76 out now. (Summer issue, June 2024)

media

Author Topic: Problems with neck  (Read 1630 times)

Julesk

• First Flush
Problems with neck
« on: February 07, 2022, 10:47:41 AM »

Are any other ladies suffering with neck stiffness and pain
Mine is driving me mad
I am not on HRT and I am peri menopausal
Tried everything any ideas?

Flossieteacake

Re: Problems with neck
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2022, 11:43:46 AM »

I am going through this too. It is so uncomfortable. I hope somebody can think of a way to help. I am not finding anything helps my neck pain and stiffness.

marge

« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2022, 12:12:40 PM »

Me too, started about a month ago.  I've put it down to being hunched over my computer and swimming breaststroke with my head out of the water!  I'm well post-meno, so not sure I can blame hormones entirely.

Postmeno3

« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2022, 12:19:20 PM »

Ah, hormones may still be playing a part! However, you could try Sea Buckthorn capsules (the ones that have liquid in them) or Curcumin (same). Both are good for lubricating joints and tighter, drier areas. Good luck, ladies! 😊

marge

« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2022, 12:31:07 PM »

Thanks for the info Postmeno3.

Years ago, both me and my sister had stiff painful necks at exactly the same time.  She's married to a GP and he said it could well be a virus.  We both recovered after about a week, so I was wondering if this might be a similar thing.  Just a thought.

Postmeno3

« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2022, 12:44:09 PM »

There's a lot of strange stuff going on just now. I think we're all processing the cumulative strain of Covid one way or another and may even have exposure symptoms manifesting as if something is absorbed, but not activated typically.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2022, 12:45:35 PM »

My neck has ached for a few days, probably the way I sleep.  By morning I am at the bottom of the bed  :o, so if I've twisted that will be the main reason. As well as bad posture!  Is it bad enough to take pain relief?

Woolly

« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2022, 03:10:33 PM »

Yes, me too. I use a microwave heatpad to ease my neck pain and stiffness. Also, when I get up in the morning, I gently turn my head to the left and right a few times, to slowly warm things up.  I also try not to strain it by looking down at things for too long. Hope yours eases off soon!💕

Wombat

« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2022, 10:16:53 PM »

I have neck pain regularly, always on one side. If I jolt it by accident or put a phone under my jaw whilst talking with no hands I’m done for, for weeks! Lots to do with posture I think. I look like a tortoise in its shell by the end of a long day at the laptop! And then I wonder why my neck is so stiff.

Wrensong

« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2022, 06:53:06 AM »

Hello Julesk  :welcomemm:

Yes, to neck stiffness & it's very common as we age & discs dry out.  If it's been going on some time & hasn't eased whatever you've tried, might be worth seeing your GP as they may suggest imaging to see what's going on & perhaps some physio.  I second the microwave heat pad suggestion & gentle exercise to help free up tension.  Have you tried different types of pillow?  Sleeping on the tummy is said to be especially bad for it.
Wx

https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/neck-pain-and-stiff-neck/

CLKD

« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2022, 09:54:25 AM »

I always sleep face down  ::).  I think my problem is not lifting the laptop to eye level. 

marge

« Reply #11 on: February 10, 2022, 10:09:08 AM »

Just wondered how you're all doing with your stiff necks?

I've been doing the exercises that Wrensong recommended; bought a neck pillow; adjusted my computer height etc, and have tried to hold books/newspapers/kindle/phone at eye level to stop myself always looking down.  Touch wood, it seems to be helping. I've also stopped swimming for now as breast stroke is not good for necks if not done properly (ie holding your head above the water).

Hope you're all doing ok too.

Flossieteacake

« Reply #12 on: February 10, 2022, 10:27:03 AM »

Just wondered how you're all doing with your stiff necks?

I've been doing the exercises that Wrensong recommended; bought a neck pillow; adjusted my computer height etc, and have tried to hold books/newspapers/kindle/phone at eye level to stop myself always looking down.  Touch wood, it seems to be helping. I've also stopped swimming for now as breast stroke is not good for necks if not done properly (ie holding your head above the water).

Hope you're all doing ok too.

I am so pleased you have found ways to ease your neck stiffness and pain.  :)

CLKD

« Reply #13 on: February 10, 2022, 11:58:20 AM »

I need to lift my computer.  We have old pillows, might try one of those  ;)