Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Not a Forum member? You can still subscribe to our Free Newsletter

media

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7

Author Topic: Is there still a Oestrogel shortage where you are? Feb 2022.  (Read 14229 times)

lizzog

Re: Is there still a Oestrogel shortage where you are? Feb 2022.
« Reply #30 on: February 23, 2022, 05:34:43 PM »

Just to let you know that my local pharmacy where I have my prescription sent to said that I should contact my GP to get a different type of HRT due to the Oestrogel shortage. I had this problem a few months ago where I couldn't get gel and was swapped to patches, then back to gel when it came in again. Not sure if it's this that's caused it, but I've had a horrible period with bad cramping.  I wish now that I had rung around and persevered rather than chop and change with my HRT.
I used the Boots checker this morning (thank you to the person who posted that!) and found a local pharmacy Boots that regularly get this in stock.
I rang my GP and they have sent my prescription through and I should be able to pick it up tomorrow.
There is definitely a shortage, but if you are prepared to do a bit of phoning around it's worth it!

Turkish delight

« Reply #31 on: February 23, 2022, 07:02:13 PM »

Hia,

That's good you finally got some.

I am uneasy about changing too. It takes forever to find your sweet spot with dosage, having to go up when symptoms come back after a while on a certain dose. Then shortage, then there's the whole Amber square, Green square topic. It's a moving target, you've got to be on your best game to just keep stable.

Marchlove

« Reply #32 on: February 23, 2022, 09:32:02 PM »

Surely our questions should be WHY is there an oestrogel shortage??
The BMS should be providing this information as a matter if urgency for the large number of woman who are using this form of HRT.
Frankly, I feel it’s not good enough! The GP’s and pharmacists should know the reason and be able to inform their patients whether this is yet another temporary shortage or a long term problem so women can make an informed choice about changing to a different prescription or hanging in there with a lower dosage until supplies are restored.
Yet again I feel we are being given the short straw when it comes to menopause provision! xx

Jane_w

« Reply #33 on: February 24, 2022, 10:18:08 AM »

Couldn't agree more Marchlove.. I've just started on this regime (2 months ago) and I think it seems to suit me so far (fingers crossed) so I really would like to have more accurate information on what the supply/manufacture problem is or how long it is to continue as I don't want the extra stress of wondering if I'll need to change to something or if I'll be in a constant panic about supplies. I totally agree this shouldn't just be shunted onto the women trying to access treatment and we shouldn't just accept it. I'm about to head out to collect the missing part of my oestrogel prescription as (nice local indie) pharmacy supplied me with 3 of the 6 my GP prescribed last week. Why should I feel I'm 'lucky' to even get this but might have trouble next time? If it were any other essential meds I sure more fuss would be being made. Makes me fume tbh...

Gnatty

« Reply #34 on: February 24, 2022, 10:56:33 AM »

I have been able to get my gel from Independent Pharmacy. It's online and my GP emails them my prescription and they send it out to me free of charge. No problems so far...

Hopeful

« Reply #35 on: February 24, 2022, 12:13:28 PM »

the bms has this on it's site

Besins Healthcare (UK) HRT products
Oestrogel systemic estradiol gel.
Besins Healthcare (UK) Ltd has seen a high demand for Oestrogel over recent months and in
order to meet this demand our safety stocks have become depleted. This means that all
new and increased weekly deliveries into the country are being used immediately to fulfil
current orders.
While we continue supplying Oestrogel to meet current orders and work to replenish our
safety stock, some pharmacies may report Oestrogel as out of stock at their local
wholesaler. This should be a short-term issue and supplies would normally flow through to
local wholesaler branches after a few days of such an occurrence.
We have increased stock of Oestrogel coming into our distribution centre on a weekly basis
that should be sufficient to meet current order quantities and we are doing everything we
can to manage and expedite supplies to pharmacies across the country through the
wholesalers.

Any pharmacies who are having any difficulty in obtaining stock can contact Besins Healthcare [email protected] with the details of their wholesaler and pharmacy account details.

Marchlove

« Reply #36 on: February 24, 2022, 01:02:25 PM »

Thanks for that Hopeful. x

Turkish delight

« Reply #37 on: February 24, 2022, 03:26:47 PM »

The BMS statement is old news I'm afraid.
The 20th of January to be precise, and were about to hit March with no stock improvement and no newer update from BMS, I for one am not impressed.

"Short term issue" my behind!
The issues has and will affect every women on Oestrogel as it's spanning over months not weeks.

PS I not directing this at you Hopeful, I love that you are hopeful   ;)
I had seen that BMS update a while back, and can't believe they haven't chased it and posted more recent info.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2022, 05:13:32 PM by Turkish delight »

Jane_w

« Reply #38 on: February 24, 2022, 03:39:16 PM »

Can't say I'm impressed either ...couldn't get the oestrogel I'm still owed today and pharmacist couldn't give much advice on when it'll arrive. Luckily I have enough to see me through 3 months so I'll keep trying for the rest and I have a review in April so I'll make a decision then if the situation is still like this. I just don't want 'added stress of whether I can score my drugs or not' to be a factor in my decision making when starting hrt was a difficult enough (but no-brainer) decision to make in first place. Seems a bit crap to me.

P.S sorry if I sound grumpy, I'm also not angry at anyone else on this thread and thanks for the nugget of info Gnatty, I may need to try that route.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2022, 03:41:50 PM by Jane_w »

Mary G

« Reply #39 on: February 24, 2022, 07:40:35 PM »

It could be a problem with the supply chain if it's imported.

Hopeful

« Reply #40 on: February 24, 2022, 10:28:55 PM »

Hi Turkish delight
I knew the BMS statement was from Mid January- 5 weeks ago, but It may still be valid. It is not always easy to increase production and as we all know media interest in HRT and oestrogel now seeming to be the first option given must have increased demand. I know of 3 friends who have started HRT on oestrogel in the last 2 months.
It’s unfortunate the the alternative gel that is available on the continent is not available here, it seems  the NHS has all their eggs in one basket (pardon the pun)
Hopefully the stocks will be distributed evenly amongst pharmacies. My pharmacy phoned Besins today and was told to email a certain person for more info, which they have done and are awaiting a reply, hopefully they get some clarity on the situation but I am not sure they will unfortunately. :'(
Of course it could be made worse by brexit and import problems. HRT seems to be constantly suffering supply problems :'(

PeriWhat?!

« Reply #41 on: February 27, 2022, 03:03:05 PM »

I managed to get two out of four bottles on my monthly prescription last week, this will last me two weeks. The pharmacist told me I was "lucky" to get those and they'll call me when the other two bottles come in. Hopefully before two weeks are up and I run out! It is a faff to be chasing this up every fortnight, and chasing GPs for prescriptions every four weeks. I would love to be able to access more at a time - it would save a lot of time and stress.
The pharmacist's line on it was that there is a sudden much increased demand for Oestrogel  - possibly because of recent raised awareness of peri and menopause issues? - and also supply issues.

alibeau

« Reply #42 on: March 07, 2022, 07:59:22 PM »

I’ve been able to get my oestrogel up until this week.  I’ve had the odd delay but this week the pharmacy said they would have to order me an alternative.

I would rather not switch so I used the Boots stock checker and then rang my local branch.  I know one of the pharmacists there who happened to answer the phone.  She said she’d had three huge deliveries lately but since the Davina McCall programme, she can’t keep up with demand.

She had one bottle left on the shelf which she put to one side for me and hopefully the other will be in stock next week 👍🏻

Ali x

MrsRoo

« Reply #43 on: March 09, 2022, 04:10:40 PM »

I’m in Birmingham and my pharmacy are having trouble getting Oestrogel. The pharmacist said it’s a manufacturing problem. It’s got me biting my nails and praying x

Louise2010

« Reply #44 on: March 09, 2022, 04:29:04 PM »

My pharmacy told me they have 35 prescriptions to fulfill before mine for oestrogel and that I should phone around as many other pharmacies as I could. There doesn’t appear to be any information about when stocks will be in either anywhere it’s pot luck.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7