Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 76 out now. (Summer issue, June 2024)

media

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Feel slightly foolish asking this but do I have piles?  (Read 3469 times)

applejack

Feel slightly foolish asking this but do I have piles?
« on: February 03, 2022, 12:06:59 PM »

A couple of weeks ago I noticed the tiniest smear of fresh blood after a bowel movement (not constipated at all) and was slightly perturbed but when it didn't happen again I thought no more of it.

Recently however, I've been prescribed mirtazapine which has given me a touch of constipation. The last two times I've gone I've had to strain and then noticed bright red blood in the toilet bowl and a small amount on wiping. The thing which is confusing me and making me feel like a bit of a twit is this - I had a coil fitted in November so I'm worried that the straining has dislodged it and the bleeding is coming from that. I honestly can't tell - some of the blood is in a mucus like plug and when I wipe it kind of goes everywhere.  I can't be 100% sure where it's coming from.

It only happens when I have a bowel movement and I have no other symptoms, so I'm leaning towards piles, but I'm also worried I'll eject my coil if I strain too much!

I can't check my coil strings because my uterus is tilted so it's like searching for the lost city of Atlantis down there.

Aprilflower

Re: Feel slightly foolish asking this but do I have piles?
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2022, 12:24:42 PM »

Hi, I don't have piles but my husband does.

What you discribe does sound like piles.  If it's bright red it usually means it's coming from around the anus.  Mucus is common to.

However, neither of us are doctors so please get it checked out.  That will put your mind at rest plus info on how to manage it.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2022, 12:33:53 PM »

Morning.   Nowt is silly on here!

It may be as simple as a small tear in the anus.  mayB apply 'savlon' or 'anusol' after each bowel movement as the tissues can become thin during peri..  Red blood is fresh.  In the meantime get an appt with a Nurse for advice.

Is there blood in the poo or simply on the paper?

Rosie63

« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2022, 01:19:24 PM »

Hi Applejack.  I had exactly the same as you a couple of months ago.  I did go to the docs. and I had 2 poo tests which were both clear.  I was told it was probably internal piles. I do suffer with constipation sometimes so I took some Dulcoease to make sure I wasn’t having to strain, used some Anusol and it cleared up quite quickly.  However, I would say go and get yourself checked out because any bleeding from that area should be investigated.

Rosie63

applejack

« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2022, 02:38:04 PM »

There's no blood in the poo, no. It's just the paper and a little bit in mucus on the bowl. I'm not bleeding generally though - only after a bm.

I am seeing a doc tomorrow for a different reason but you've all convinced me that it should be checked so I'll mention it to her.

CLKD

« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2022, 03:19:26 PM »

Let us know how you get on?

applejack

« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2022, 03:49:02 PM »

Gah - it's just happened again, but I think it's vaginal. The fact that it only happens when I have a bm has thrown me. I've had really thorough investigations into bleeding very recently so I'm not too worried about it being anything sinister but surely the fact that the AD's have given me constipation and I've had to strain can't have dislodged the coil?

I mean, surely they're more robust than that???

applejack

« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2022, 03:49:25 PM »

Honestly I feel like a right chump asking these questions :-(

Gnatty

« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2022, 05:55:45 PM »

Do sort out the constipation. I had this when I started mirtazapine. What sorted me was eating kiwis, ground flaxseed etc. Increase liquids, coffee at breakfast, apricots and also magnesium at bedtime. You don't want to be straining!

CLKD

« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2022, 06:31:26 PM »

It takes up a lot of brain space too - I have slow transit and it's a bugga ......... whoops  ;D

Find out what gets your bowels moving gently and stick with it.  Sometimes when I stop all my meds my bowel livens up; yesterday I was up and down to the bathroom though didn't have a result each time: when I did though  :o. and nothing is taboo etc. on here!  At least 1 of us will have been there, done that etc.. ::)

applejack

« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2022, 08:35:54 PM »

Well I generally love all of those foods, Gnatty, so that won’t be a problem!

But my worry is dislodging the coil.

Goddamnit!

CLKD my brain hasn’t seen transit for years…

Gnatty, which magnesium  do you use - is it citrate?
« Last Edit: February 03, 2022, 09:08:04 PM by applejack »

CLKD

« Reply #11 on: February 04, 2022, 09:12:02 AM »

I don't think that the coil would dislodge due to constipation etc..   MayB ring your Practice Nurse and ask the question? 

Gnatty

« Reply #12 on: February 04, 2022, 11:56:42 AM »

Generally citrate yes, 400 mg elemental. I take it at bedtime.

applejack

« Reply #13 on: February 04, 2022, 02:20:39 PM »

Brilliant, thank you!

Gracie

« Reply #14 on: February 04, 2022, 02:40:39 PM »

I used to get terrible constipation when younger, the doctor did say its something you don't want to suffer from!

If you like liquorice, and I don't mean the allsorts type, that is very good to get you going  :)
Pages: [1] 2