Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 76 out now. (Summer issue, June 2024)

media

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Thyroid  (Read 2110 times)

ATB

Re: Thyroid
« Reply #15 on: March 16, 2022, 02:15:20 PM »

Hi sorry to hear of your thyroid problems. I am hypothyroid but also had trouble trying to get diagnosed on NHS, completely dismissed by my GP & told to ‘reduce my expectations of life at my age’- I was 39! My TSH was 4.5 so they don’t treat at that stage and don’t test Free T3 & 4. I struggled for a bit on my own and then got a private doctor to assess, do far more extensive testing and diagnose me. I’m on NDT and have been about 6 years, so much better. I self dose now as I just can’t afford a private doctor constantly for this. I use Medichecks to monitor and they understand my TSH is suppressed and therefore very low due to taking NDT. I found it very hard to know if I was peri menopausal at the same time this thyroid issue cropped up and so after years getting my thyroid right also went private to deal with menopause. Finally feeling pretty good, adjusting evorel patch at the moment to get it absolutely right. It is complicated to understand what is causing symptoms as thyroid and menopause symptoms are similar in many areas. But I think it’s important to learn about the thyroid what results mean and what optimal levels are, the STTM site is helpful for that. If it’s possible, finding a private doctor to help with both at the same time is the best course of action IMO. If you can’t do that, then you need to read a lot and test often. Also good to know that stored iron, ferritin, in particular seems to be affected by thyroid issues and can be very low, which massively affects fatigue. Lots of nutrient levels can be affected so regularly test those also. I believe oestrogen levels affect the ability to store iron too so you’ll find things change as your hormone health improves. But definitely don’t just accept what your GP has said. I wish I was more forthright and insistent with mine as it has cost me a lot of money and a lot of years of my life living with anxiety and fatigue unnecessarily. Doctors need to understand more about both the thyroid and menopause, how they affect each other and to understand that for both, diagnosis should largely depend on symptoms and not just tests alone. My best advice is definitely don’t wait to get better, do whatever you can afford to get the best care possible, as soon as possible. Feel confident you know your body and don’t let GPs dismiss you and your symptoms. These issues can really ruin your life and it’s not fair they ignore us.

Marchlove

« Reply #16 on: March 16, 2022, 02:20:20 PM »

Great post ATB thank you x

ATB

« Reply #17 on: March 16, 2022, 02:37:07 PM »

Thanks! I used to run a thyroid support group on Facebook! Although I’m off FB now I learnt a lot from other women doing that.

Marchlove

« Reply #18 on: March 16, 2022, 03:35:31 PM »

Your just the sort of member we need in here then! Thanks for joining and helping us out xx
Pages: 1 [2]