Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 76 out now. (Summer issue, June 2024)

media

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Thyroid and menopause  (Read 2782 times)

Geordieclaire73

Thyroid and menopause
« on: February 02, 2022, 07:55:41 PM »

Hi I'm new to hear ..I'm three years since last period so I'm guessing post menopause...I've been managing with natural but god I can't take it any more.  Had no life this last year. Horrendous symptoms..now I need help. I have awful dryness repeated UTI..can't have sex it's so painful. I use yes moisturizer but not strong now.  Doctor's has offered ovestin? Is it any good.   I have awful anxiety and palpitations. Hot flushes. Night sweats but I think my thyroid is playing up.  Doc said normal but I've symptoms. My TSH was 0.9 two weeks ago today at hospital it was 1.7.  My free t4 is 16.   Any ideas?   I feel like I'm on a go fast at the minute.  Just got out of hospital because of shortness of breath palpitations..had blood tests ech. Scan for a clot.  All good it's a chest infection and my asthma. ..any advice would be great

Geordieclaire73

Re: Thyroid and menopause
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2022, 08:50:15 PM »

I've no idea if I've done this right

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2022, 09:48:28 AM »

Absolutely fine and  :welcomemm:

It is very annoying as well as common for GPs to take the results as OK even when a patient continues to complain of symptoms.   >:(. There are several ladies on the Forum who have thyroid function issues, hopefully they will be along with advice.

You need immediate vaginal atrophy treatment.  Have any urine samples been away to be tested for bugs?   VA mimics repeated urine infection-type symptoms really really well.  Usually symptoms are caused by dryness: as oestrogen levels drop so the body may become dry: inside and out.  Skin, deep in the ears, eyes, nostrils, vagina, anus, between the toes ....... and muscles may become lax = aches and pains.

You are in the right place for advice and support.  Do read the Vaginal Atrophy thread.  Make notes ;-).  The idea is to use the product Ovestin or Vagifem. every night for at least 10-14 days or until symptoms ease.  If you have been dry for ages then it may be sore initially.  I use 'ovestin' with success.  If the outer labia become itchy I add KY Jelly others use 'sylce' or 'yes' products.

Let us know how you get on!

Gracie

« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2022, 10:03:08 AM »

Hi Geordieclaire73 and welcome.

I can't help with your other problems but just to confirm what CLKD suggests, do start on treatment for Vaginal Atrophy as soon as you can because it takes a long time to take effect. You get that out of the way and you will cope better with your other symptoms.

AKatieD

« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2022, 11:59:01 AM »

Yes, your breathlessness , paliptations, anxiety could be thyroid medicine related.

Please post full results (including Free T3 and free T4) plus ranges

Geordieclaire73

« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2022, 02:08:45 PM »

Absolutely fine and  :welcomemm:

It is very annoying as well as common for GPs to take the results as OK even when a patient continues to complain of symptoms.   >:(. There are several ladies on the Forum who have thyroid function issues, hopefully they will be along with advice.

You need immediate vaginal atrophy treatment.  Have any urine samples been away to be tested for bugs?   VA mimics repeated urine infection-type symptoms really really well.  Usually symptoms are caused by dryness: as oestrogen levels drop so the body may become dry: inside and out.  Skin, deep in the ears, eyes, nostrils, vagina, anus, between the toes ....... and muscles may become lax = aches and pains.

You are in the right place for advice and support.  Do read the Vaginal Atrophy thread.  Make notes ;-).  The idea is to use the product Ovestin or Vagifem. every night for at least 10-14 days or until symptoms ease.  If you have been dry for ages then it may be sore initially.  I use 'ovestin' with success.  If the outer labia become itchy I add KY Jelly others use 'sylce' or 'yes' products.

Let us know how you get on!

thank you so much for your reply.  I actually don't know if I've replied right 🤣.  I've got ovestin and I'm going to give it ago.  I'll use yes moisturizer for outside or can I use ovestin???   I get repeated UTI and have been referred Even though had camera up two years ago and I'm like sandpaper down there.. what is sex.  It's so painful...do I use every night for two weeks or four?

Geordieclaire73

« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2022, 02:17:45 PM »

Spoke today to go just said nothing wrong with thyroid very abrupt didn't want to know about symptoms. Wouldn't tell results. I had to ring reception.  So two weeks ago I was TSH 0.9. Wouldn't tell me T3 or t4 ..maybe didn't do them... yesterday my bloods done. TSH 1.7.   free t4 16.   Again no T3 done.  Symptoms are fast heart rate palpitations cold hands, anxiety. Irritability, hair thinning. Tremors in hands.  A awful shaky feeling inside.  Very jumpy at slightest noise.  Any help is greatly appreciated as GP is not

CLKD

« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2022, 02:24:36 PM »

Ask for a referral to an endocrinologist.  Many GPs react the same with thyroid function tests.  Could you ask advice from a local Pharmacist. 

I did a quick GOOGLE and recommend that you send them an e-mail asking how to encourage your GP to do further tests and who you need to be referred to for appropriate treatment and advice ;-)

British Thyroid Foundation

Registered Office
Suite 12, One Sceptre House
Hornbeam Square North
Hornbeam Park
Harrogate
HG2 8PB

+44 (0)1423 810093
[email protected]
« Last Edit: February 03, 2022, 02:26:33 PM by CLKD »

sheila99

« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2022, 02:36:18 PM »

I'm no expert but it sounds like thyroid to me. If your gp won't do the full range you can get it done privately by medichecks (others available but that's what I used). It showed I had Hashimoto's which gp would never have known as they don't test everything. It seems you can feel rough when the nhs says 'within normal range' too but I'm not sure what you can do about that except to go privately. I'm in a similar position to you atm but your symptoms sound worse than mine. I think you need to post the reference range as well as the result as it seems to differ depending on the lab.

Geordieclaire73

« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2022, 02:58:32 PM »

Thanks so much everyone I'm currently sat look at getting my own tests done.  Why do doctor's just shrug u off? 

AKatieD

« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2022, 06:27:55 PM »

Yes get your own tests done, you want thyroid antibodies and free t3 and t4. Medichecks and Thriva are reasonably priced options that do finger **** blood thyroid testing.

Trouble is your g.p. can probably not get the NHS lab to do the full range of thyroid tests, which they consider unnecessary. They only use TSH which is useless when you are being treated.

Thyroid UK (TUK) are a patient association and much more use than British Thyroid Association. They have lists of test providers etc on their website and various groups where you can get help.

Those symptoms you mention are what I get when I have forgotten my medicines so you may be on too little (but they can be different for everyone and my too little is other people's too much). If you get proper testing you will know

CLKD

« Reply #11 on: February 03, 2022, 06:29:31 PM »

We are a Mine of Info on here.  It's medical negligence not to treat when a patient continues with symptoms, regardless of testing! 

Let us know how you get on.

Geordieclaire73

« Reply #12 on: February 03, 2022, 11:13:01 PM »

Thank you all...I'm on no treatment...I've been feeling awful for awhile but it's been worse since Christmas. ..been in hospital two days..with symptoms..so frustrating as I'm getting nowhere.. doctor was very arrogant and said today your thyroid is fine nothing is wrong...🤷 ..so I've been researching myself..to try get information..and then tried on here with all you lovely people..I just feel out of whack..I've just ordered thyroid tests on medicheck 🤞

CLKD

« Reply #13 on: February 04, 2022, 09:12:45 AM »

Well done!  Let us know how you get on.

Kathleen

« Reply #14 on: February 04, 2022, 10:10:58 AM »

Hello Geordieclaire and welcome to the forum.

You say that you are not on any treatment, do you mean that you are not taking any thyroid medication such as Levothyroxine or any form of HRT? You also mention a hospital visit was that because of your asthma?
I ask because your symptoms could be menopause related and not necessarily due to your thyroid.
I think having a blood test with Medichecks is a great idea and will certainly help you work out what is going on. I wish you luck and please keep us updated

Take care.

K.
Pages: [1] 2