Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please have a look at the questionnaire page if you have a spare minute.

media

Author Topic: Help/Advice with VA  (Read 1000 times)

MrsRoo

Help/Advice with VA
« on: February 04, 2022, 05:09:53 PM »

Hi All,

I had an account on here but it was deleted for some reason??

I’m hoping that one of you wise ladies can offer some advice regarding my vaginal atrophy symptoms. I’ve got burning, soreness, itching, frequent urination and other UTI type symptoms. The GP diagnosed VA and initially gave me Vagifem, which sadly caused hair loss. I now have Ovestin cream which has worked great up to now. I’ve been using it since September but my symptoms have now flared up again. Can I do another two week load? Can I use it daily? Im unable to get a drs appointment at all at the moment and, previous experience tells me they won’t be much help. Im currently on Estrogel continuously and Utrogestan 12 days a month.
Any advice you can give would be gratefully received as I’m at my wits end with this discomfort.

Many thanks,

Roo

Joaniepat

Re: Help/Advice with VA
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2022, 05:37:19 PM »

Yes, you can do a reload. You don't say often you were using it, but maybe increase the frequency of use to prevent further flares. Hope you feel better soon.
JP x

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2022, 05:45:53 PM »

Hi!  do use the 'ovestin' regularly - at least 10-14 days, longer if necessary.  When I feel the need2P I take 2 'nurofen' 3 times a day for 2 days to ease that nip as the spincter shuts off the urine flow.

Some require 'sylc' or 'yes' products on the outer labia.  I apply either "KY Jelly" or a little 'ovestin' if it's dry or itchy.  VA mimics urine infection-type symptoms really really well.

Haydo

« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2022, 05:54:33 PM »

Do a reload.  I use vagifem but have found I have to do at least three two week reloads a year.  I also need to use it every two or three nights.  I hope it improves for you. 

MrsRoo

« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2022, 06:07:37 PM »

Thank you for your replies Joaniepat, CLKD and Haydo.

I’ve been using Ovestin twice weekly since the initial two week load at the end of September. I’ll try another two weeks of every day use then do three times a week. It’s trial and error, isn’t it? This menopause rubbish is the pits!

CLKD

« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2022, 06:29:15 PM »

U may need it every night, after the 2-3 weeks see how you feel.  Don't be fobbed off with your GP trying to restrict your prescription.

MrsRoo

« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2022, 06:56:22 PM »

Can I use it every night CLKD? The GP was adamant that it should be twice a week at most as I still have my womb.

CLKD

« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2022, 07:46:39 PM »

Your GP needs to get up2date!  It is such a small amount of active ingredient that is won't affect us other than treating the VA.

Local use of appropriate vaginal atrophy treatment can if necessary, be used nightly.  What GPs read is the leaflet which classes VA treatment as HRT  Which it isn't.  I t has the same info in the box as other types.

It is essential to keep the condition under control.  The idea is every night for 10-14 days then as necessary: usually every 4th and 6/7th night.  Some require it nightly. 

Joaniepat

« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2022, 08:37:48 PM »

Can I use it every night CLKD? The GP was adamant that it should be twice a week at most as I still have my womb.
Adamant or not, the GP is wrong. No endometrial protection is needed with local oestrogen, only with systemic.
JP x

Gracie

« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2022, 10:03:39 AM »

Your doctor does seem out of date with VA treatments.
I use Vagifem and Ovestin locally every day as prescribed by my doctor. You can't mess about with Vaginal Atrophy it has to be treated. I had no idea that using Vagifem could cause hair loss but even that would not stop me from using it, quality of life for me is more important.