Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Author Topic: Finally had the Mirena fitted. Horrible Side effects. So sad  (Read 3115 times)

loonarider

Finally had the Mirena fitted. Horrible Side effects. So sad
« on: February 01, 2022, 04:11:20 PM »

Hello all,

After a lot of trial and error I finally and excitedly got the Mirena fitted as other forms of progesterone didn't work for me. Terrible reaction.

I was also given lenzetto spray/estrogen spray which I used very briefly alone before having the IUS fitted. No reaction to that so I know it's definitely not the oestrogen, because after having the Mirena fitted 5 days ago, I've had palpitations, shortness of breath, chest tightness, dizziness, nausea, diarrhea and generally feeling like a zombie.

So upset and fed up. I had a strong feeling this regimen would be the holy grail of hrt and I could call the search off, especially since other progesterones didn't work so well for me.

I'm not sure now whether to stick with it and maybe up 1 dose of the lenzetto spray to two doses? To counteract or act as a buffer to these horrible side effects

Can't get through to any of the my fav female doctors who seem clued up about the menopause.

Or I don't know maybe I should have the IUS removed and risk cancer using just the estrogen spray on its own, which was great by the way. I want my life back.

I'm peri and 44 years old. I really want to enjoy my life now, I've suffered for too long  :'(

Is anyone on the same regimen who could offer  great advice on what I can do next? I'm just so so confused and dilapidated from it all. I ask myself many times why we are cursed with menopause. It's a curse.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2022, 04:22:12 PM by loonarider »

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Finally had the Mirena fitted. Horrible Side effects. So sad
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2022, 04:41:25 PM »

Hopefully someone will be along with advice.

:bighug:

loonarider

« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2022, 04:55:43 PM »

Thank you CKLD!

Think I might've been a bit full on and put people off  ;D

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2022, 05:35:56 PM »

Hormones are enough to put most people off  ;D especially our own  >:(

What's your plan?  Give it a month to see if it settles?  U could put "mirena coil" into the search box?

pepperminty

« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2022, 05:58:19 PM »

Hi,

side effects can settle and worry can make them much worse and even cause side effects as the gut can give you the runs when you are worried etc. 5 days is very early - When i had mine and was on the sofa for a few days exhausted from it all and then it settled in slowly.
You need to give it a chance to settle. If in 3 months you feel bad then you can have it removed. Most women do settle on the coil.
Try meditation and belly breathing using your diaphragm.

If you have a heart condition then see your GP if you are worried, palpitations are very common in peri.
Try not to analyse every symptom . Stress can make it all seem worse.

It is a very difficult time going through all the menopause changes and then trying to get the hormone dose right.  I hope you feel better soon .

PMxx

Peripurple

« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2022, 06:26:38 PM »

Hi loonarider, don’t dispair just yet, I felt pretty awful for 3 weeks after my mirena, so overwhelmingly tired, but it did lift and now it’s absolutely brilliant and almost into my third year.  My GP said it was quite normal to have some initial side effects.

loonarider

« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2022, 06:59:33 PM »

Hormones are enough to put most people off  ;D especially our own  >:(

What's your plan?  Give it a month to see if it settles?  U could put "mirena coil" into the search box?

My plan is for now to carry on for about a month and see (if it doesn't get worse than this).

loonarider

« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2022, 07:01:15 PM »

Hi,

side effects can settle and worry can make them much worse and even cause side effects as the gut can give you the runs when you are worried etc. 5 days is very early - When i had mine and was on the sofa for a few days exhausted from it all and then it settled in slowly.
You need to give it a chance to settle. If in 3 months you feel bad then you can have it removed. Most women do settle on the coil.
Try meditation and belly breathing using your diaphragm.

If you have a heart condition then see your GP if you are worried, palpitations are very common in peri.
Try not to analyse every symptom . Stress can make it all seem worse.

It is a very difficult time going through all the menopause changes and then trying to get the hormone dose right.  I hope you feel better soon .

PMxx

Thank you. Very helpful. I'll give it some more time. This evening things have calmed down a bit, but who knows what tomorrow will bring.

I've got a full blood panel booked to chdck my general health. Thanks again! :)

loonarider

« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2022, 07:02:31 PM »

Hi loonarider, don’t dispair just yet, I felt pretty awful for 3 weeks after my mirena, so overwhelmingly tired, but it did lift and now it’s absolutely brilliant and almost into my third year.  My GP said it was quite normal to have some initial side effects.

Thank you for the support. I'll keep it in and weather the storm, seems there will be brighter days on the horizon.  :-*

Madge79

« Reply #9 on: December 11, 2023, 05:31:42 PM »

Hey I know this is an old thread but I wondered if this ever settled?

I’ve just had a mirena fitted (4 days ago) had spotting and cramping for a couple of days and then that seemed to settle but I’ve been exhausted and also have had a lot of bowel movements!

Then this evening cramping has got worse again and I have diarrhoea!! I had a check earlier and couldn’t find the strings so of course have freaked out and decided it must have perforated my bowel or something 😩😩

Floral

« Reply #10 on: December 11, 2023, 06:10:36 PM »

Loonrader  I may be wrong but I think your symptoms could be settling in period and as others have said it settled for them.  I had it fitted in my 40s but I felt such dark moods that I  asked doc to have it removed, she wasn’t best pleased.  I’m just v sensitive to certain progestins.
Hope this comes good for you🤞
Aren’t hormones horrid when they’re off and amazing when they’re in balance🙃