Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Mobile version of the Forum Click here

media

Author Topic: Severe Insomnia  (Read 1089 times)

cazza

• First Flush
Severe Insomnia
« on: January 31, 2022, 08:09:24 PM »

Hi Im new on here and looking for some help and advice.Im 51 and last had a period early October for a day then stopped completely well so far anyway.Ive always been regular so think its defiantly menopause  :-\Ive always had problems sleeping but at the moment can do three all nighters in a row and  then when I do sleep I wake constantly I don't want to go on HRT as I have an underactive thryoid which is all over the place so don't know what to do, have tried zoplicone in the past but hate that groggy feeling next day any suggestions would be very welcome thanks x

jaypo

Re: Severe Insomnia
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2022, 08:30:58 PM »

Hi,have you tried Benadryl,the one with acrivastin? It's actually supposed to be non drowsy but it helps me and a few others on here nod off

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2022, 09:47:26 PM »

You need to speak with an endocrinologist (sp) if you have thyroid function issues, preferably one with an interest in menopause and how it might affect symptoms

:welcomemm: 

Sleeping can be difficult if one's mind is buzzing  >:(.  For years I worried about not being able to cope with my busy job if I didn't get proper sleep, however.  I managed.  It is known that the more we think "Will I sleep tonight?" etc. the more the brain will keep waking up to see if we are asleep  ::).  I have in the past used travel sickness medication at weekends to get a good night, or an anti-histamine.  A Friday night was best 4 me as I didn't have to wake to the alarm.

MayB trying a sleeping 'pill' earlier in the evening will ease that groggy hung-over feeling the next morning.  Don't take it and then have a bath though  :o

cazza

• First Flush
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2022, 12:20:12 PM »

Thank you for your replies Jaypo and Clkd.I will defiantly give the  Benadryl a go .I will also see my DR to see if I can see an endocrinologist as haven't seen once since I had my Thyroid diagnosed and that was years ago   ::) the joys of being a woman aye :)

CLKD

« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2022, 01:15:38 PM »

Hasn't your GP kept an eye on your thyroid function regularly?   :-\

cazza

• First Flush
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2022, 07:03:02 PM »

No I have to nag to get bloods done  ::)

CLKD

« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2022, 07:12:41 PM »

That's not good enough, but sadly, usual  >:(