Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Mobile version of the Forum Click here

media

Author Topic: Progesterone advice  (Read 1110 times)

Flossieteacake

Progesterone advice
« on: February 01, 2022, 09:52:50 AM »

I am very worried about not being able to tolerate progesterone. I am 39 and in perimenopause. I take destrogel and have done for 10 years. I was prescribed Evorel 25 for 3 months which changed to Evorel 50 and then a different doctor realised I was not taking any progesterone and gave me Norethisterone. This caused me to have tightening of the chest and bad asthma. I was then given FemSeven Conti patches which caused severe mental health issues. I had to remove this patch on Friday. I have an appointment with a menopause clinic on Thursday but I am afraid because if I cannot tolerate progesterone then I do not know what to do. I am very sensitive to medications and I am unable to go out for any scans etc due to mental health issues. I suggested Cyclogest 200mg pessaries to the GP but was told they contain norethisterone so I would not be able to tolerate them either. I wondered if there were any options for me or anything I should ask for at my phone appointment on Thursday.

Dotty

Re: Progesterone advice
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2022, 10:25:11 AM »

Hi Cyclogest is a natural progesterone, so I don't think it contains norethisterone.

Alternative progesterones would be Utrogestan, Provera or a Mirena coil. x

Flossieteacake

« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2022, 10:33:28 AM »

Thank you for replying. I cannot get Mirena as I cannot go out. I think I may have tried utrogestan too.

Nas

« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2022, 03:55:36 PM »

If you dont mind me asking, why are you unable to go out?

Mirena may be your best option as it delivers a small amount of progesterone locally.

Maybe they will let you have oestrogen only, with regular scans?

Hope you get sorted on Thursday ☺

Flossieteacake

« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2022, 04:14:37 PM »

I am unable to go out due to mental health issues. I would not be able to have the scans. Thank you for replying.

loonarider

« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2022, 04:23:56 PM »

I am very worried about not being able to tolerate progesterone. I am 39 and in perimenopause. I take destrogel and have done for 10 years. I was prescribed Evorel 25 for 3 months which changed to Evorel 50 and then a different doctor realised I was not taking any progesterone and gave me Norethisterone. This caused me to have tightening of the chest and bad asthma. I was then given FemSeven Conti patches which caused severe mental health issues. I had to remove this patch on Friday. I have an appointment with a menopause clinic on Thursday but I am afraid because if I cannot tolerate progesterone then I do not know what to do. I am very sensitive to medications and I am unable to go out for any scans etc due to mental health issues. I suggested Cyclogest 200mg pessaries to the GP but was told they contain norethisterone so I would not be able to tolerate them either. I wondered if there were any options for me or anything I should ask for at my phone appointment on Thursday.

Not much to say as In in the same boat. Sensitive to progesterone and not sure what to do next. Great on estrogen only but  that carries a risk :(

Flossieteacake

« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2022, 04:30:32 PM »

I am sorry you are going through this too. It is such a nightmare. Like you, I felt a lot better on estrogen. I really hope there is something that we can take.

Not much to say as In in the same boat. Sensitive to progesterone and not sure what to do next. Great on estrogen only but  that carries a risk :(

Nas

« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2022, 05:37:24 PM »

It’s going to be tricky if you are unable to leave the house.

Could you take a friend or family member with you to any appointments?
The nurses are usually very good with anxious patients and do lots of hand holding.

A hysterectomy might be the best thing going forward?

Have you been on Oestrogen for ten years, with no progesterone?

Flossieteacake

« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2022, 07:32:03 PM »

It’s going to be tricky if you are unable to leave the house.

Could you take a friend or family member with you to any appointments?
The nurses are usually very good with anxious patients and do lots of hand holding.

A hysterectomy might be the best thing going forward?

Have you been on Oestrogen for ten years, with no progesterone?

I have been on destrogel for 10 years which is a contraceptive pill. Taking somebody with me makes no difference but thank you for the advice.

Nas

« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2022, 08:03:42 PM »

No problem
Just wondered how you managed without being able to go out? How do you attend appointments etc?

Hopefully the appointment will be a positive one for you.

« Last Edit: February 01, 2022, 08:05:35 PM by Nas »