Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Mobile version of the Forum Click here

media

Author Topic: 200mg progesterone daily  (Read 3482 times)

Midlifecrises72

• First Flush
200mg progesterone daily
« on: January 22, 2022, 04:08:13 AM »

I've recently moved to usa from the UK. A gp here has advised that I take 200mg continually along with 3 pumps of estrogel. I'm currently taking 200mg for 14 days but he said that I would feel much better and not have the spikes of anxiety I currently have on the 14 day cycle. Any thoughts from anyone?
« Last Edit: January 25, 2022, 05:57:34 PM by Midlifecrises72 »

Dotty

Re: 200mg progesterone daily
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2022, 08:02:34 AM »

Hi the usual dosage is 100mg if you are taking it every day.

200mg can be prescribed every day if there is a problem with bleeding.

Are you post or peri menopause ? That usually determines how much you take and for how long . x

Midlifecrises72

• First Flush
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2022, 05:05:21 PM »

I'm post and don't bleed so maybe that might be why

sheila99

« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2022, 05:31:58 PM »

As above, you would normally take 100mg continuously in meno. Anxiety is often from oestrogen deficiency if it's hormone related, there are many other causes of course. Is there a time of the cycle when it's worse?

Midlifecrises72

• First Flush
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2022, 05:56:50 PM »

As a background - I had an ablation about 5 years ago. Since being on 3 pumps estrogel daily and 200mg progesterone for 14 days I don't have any bleeding at all. Moved to the USA in December. I get bad anxiety during the 14 days of progesterone. The GP said that as I don't bleed because of the ablation it seems that I may be better taking continuous progesterone to avoid the awful ups and downs associated with a "cycle"  I'm still in day 24 so haven't started the continuous yet - hopefully I'll stabilize!  As a side note HRT is so expensive here (a bottle of estrogel is $70!!) so the GP is getting the pharmacist to make a special compound cream for me with 2.25mg oestrogen to equal the 3 pumps esteogel. Get me being special!

sheila99

« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2022, 09:30:41 PM »

If you get anxiety on prog isn't it going to make it worse if you take it every day? You may find you are better on a different sort. Is it utrogeston you're on? The other possibility is to stay on sequi but use a long cycle (6 weeks). Many meno women who don't tolerate prog well use this regime to give them more 'good' time.

Ana21

« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2022, 10:36:35 PM »

Hi Midlifecrises72!

I think you should try the 200 mg continuously for 3 months and see how you feel.  Some women are very sensitive to fluctuating hormone levels.  You won't know how your body responds until you try it.  Be prepared for an adjustment period. 

At the end of the trial, you and your doctor will have more information to work with.  You'll have one more piece of your puzzle.

NikNik

• First Flush
« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2022, 09:37:07 AM »

Hi Midlifecrises72!

I started 10 months ago on 100mg Utrogestan  (continuous, as no period 2+years).
Because of bleeding, I was upped to 200mg daily just over a month ago.
It's got overall benefits with some downsides: sleepy at night is ok but grumpy mornings not so great!! I'm sticking with it  for 3 months, hoping that the low mood improves. I had terrible migraines all my 'hormonal' life & HRT stopped them overnight so that alone is worth the not so great effects for me!
I personally would give it 3 months to see it it settles.
Good luck  :)