Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Author Topic: Changed hrt now bleeding  (Read 1459 times)

Janeydrew

Changed hrt now bleeding
« on: February 07, 2022, 08:07:32 AM »

So I need advice again! So I have been on estrogel 3 pumps daily and taking ustrogan 2 pills vaginally for 12 days. Done this since Nov. The dr phoned me 3 weeks ago asked what regime I'm doing told me off saying I'm ment to be taking progesterone daily I said I can't take it daily as have bad nightmares and basically feel horrid. So she said I need to go o  the evoral patch which I had when I first started on hrt. Started bleeding really really heavy and massive clots. She stopped me on that and put me on another patch femseven which I'm still bleeding. What do I do shall I just stop and let everything settle . I'm bleeding that much I have 3 pads on and still going through my clothes. Also to add in July I did have a procedure to thin my womb. Please help x

Katherine

Re: Changed hrt now bleeding
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2022, 07:02:34 PM »

Oh goodness I really feel for you. I'm not in a position to offer any knowledge about this but I do hope it's sorted soon and that you begin to feel better. If you are bleeding that heavily I would see your GP again asap as your iron levels will be affected. x

Taz2

« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2022, 12:27:59 AM »

I would report this to your GP as if you are bleeding through three heavy-flow pads at a time it's too heavy to cope with. Clots are a good thing as it shows that your clotting mechanism is working but they do feel frightening when they come away from you. Nurofen has an ingredient which can help slow heavy bleeding down.

I hope it eases soon.

Taz  :hug:

Janeydrew

« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2022, 04:04:52 AM »

Ok so in desperation I took the patch off yesterday morning . come 6 last night all the bleeding had stopped....  so now I'm going to give myself a couple of days break and then go back to my estrogel bit it's the progesterone that I have to get right. Do I take 1 or 2 tablets daily. Can I take vaginally. My Dr is still convinced that you can't. And can I take in the morning so I don't have nightmares. I'm 53 still have all my bits and pieces. Thanks for the advice at least when I know I can ring her and say this is what I know and this is what I'm sticking too x actually nope I am still bleeding as of this morning....
« Last Edit: February 08, 2022, 06:39:12 AM by Janeydrew »

Taz2

« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2022, 07:43:12 AM »

Are you on FemSeven conti patches? If so then the withdrawal of progesterone when you removed your patch will increase bleeding. Conti HRT can give bleeding for the first six months. If you've been using the utrogestan incorrectly since November then maybe your lining has built up so there is more to shed.

I'm not sure how much utrogestan you can take but you can use it vaginally. Maybe give yourself a break for a couple of weeks before restarting the oestrogel?

Janeydrew

« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2022, 07:45:07 AM »

Hi yes I was on femseven with both the hormones in the patch. I agree I'm going to rest for a couple of weeks and see what happens. Thanks for the replies x

Taz2

« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2022, 07:50:16 AM »

Bleeding is common though not usually as heavy as you are experiencing. I had continuous bleeding on conti HRT so gave up after six months and went back onto sequi to have a more predictable bleed. I hope it settles soon.

Janeydrew

« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2022, 10:10:01 AM »

I could kick myself as all was good with the gel and the 12 days taking progesterone but the dr wasn't happy so stopped me doing it that way. I shall just have to wait a few days till the bleeding stops altogether then go back to my gel and obviously the pill that I took vaginally and just tell the dr I take it orally to keep her happy x

Taz2

« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2022, 04:51:06 PM »

Were you having a monthly bleed with the 12 day regime?

Taz2

« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2022, 04:58:50 PM »

I've found this which mentions utrogestan being used vaginally after ablation. Scroll down to HRT after Ablation. https://www.balance-menopause.com/menopause-library/endometrial-ablation-and-hrt/. Hope it will reassure your doctor that this is allowed.  :)

Janeydrew

« Reply #10 on: February 09, 2022, 05:25:29 AM »

No taz I didn't have a bleed for some reason I just thought I hadn't had enough time for the lining to build up again  but saying that I'm still bleeding now. Obviously it's built up now. Thus morning I have taken 2 pumps of my gel and I shall phone the Dr and say I want to stay on the gel and ill have to persevere with utrogestan daily. Still not sure how I would have a bleed if I take that continuously x

Hurdity

« Reply #11 on: February 09, 2022, 09:22:41 AM »

In addition to the excellent advice given by Taz, I would also add that there is no reason not to take utrogestan cyclically whether or not you are post-menopausal (unless eg you have history of endmetriosis) - which I presume you are if the doc wants you on conti HRT. This will give you a regular bleed as Taz says but I agree with her that irrespective of whatever regime you are on, very heavy bleeding should be investigated even though bleeding is to be expected when you first start a conti regime, and even if it has stopped now.

I have only ever taken utrogestan vaginally. The normal licensed dose is 100 mg daily for conti use but this can be increased for higher doses of oestrogen and if there is bleeding which continues. If you continue to bleed when taking Utrogestan daily, even after 6 months then it may not be the right regime. So in summary, higher dose or cyclically would be the solution.

Hurdity x

Janeydrew

« Reply #12 on: February 12, 2022, 01:50:25 PM »

Thank you so much for the replies the information you guys give is  so valuable. I'm doing OK at the moment still bleeding but not as much as I was so I'm obviously slowing up a bit. Will give this 3 months and go from there x

sheila99

« Reply #13 on: February 12, 2022, 06:05:59 PM »

I might be in the same boat  :(.
  You might consider a mirena which will normally sort out out bleeding/thickened lining problems. I also seem to have the problem of not bleeding on sequi utro, it was OK when I still had a cycle of my own but it doesn't seem to induce a bleed on it's own. Waiting to see my gp (who probably doesn't know the answer anyway), conti utro not an option as I don't want to be permanently doped.