Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Author Topic: Do Post Menopausal Symptoms Decline  (Read 1046 times)

Dex139

• First Flush
Do Post Menopausal Symptoms Decline
« on: January 21, 2022, 06:51:25 PM »

My GP wants to put me on HRT for the short term only.  If HRT is needed due to hormone deficiency, how can this deficiency ever go away.  Does anyone know if the menopause symptoms do decline?

Taz2

Re: Do Post Menopausal Symptoms Decline
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2022, 07:03:32 PM »

The current guidelines are that we should be allowed to stay on it indefinitely if we want to and any other health conditions allow. Some symptoms such as mood swings do ease post meno but others do still cause problems in some women. Where are you in menopause and do you know why your doc only wants to prescribe it for short term?

sheila99

« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2022, 10:55:56 PM »

Some can stop hrt and find they're symptom free, for others the symptoms return. It's pot luck I'm afraid.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2022, 09:21:05 AM »

What does 'short term' mean?  Weeks, months, years ........... mayB keep a mood/food/syptom diary would be of use and decide which symptom you would like to ease first?

Gracie

« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2022, 02:22:44 PM »

Being post menopause can be the start of something new with a chronic condition such as Vaginal Atrophy for instance. You would want to avoid that if you can and I should think that being on HRT would guard you against this, one would hope!

sheila99

« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2022, 05:26:55 PM »

VA is a bit different. You can be on hrt and still get it and it's normally treated with topical oestrogen rather than systemic though of course you can have both. It protects your bones and heart too but is better if oestrogen has been continuous from peri.
If you want hrt to control your symptoms I would use it. You can argue about  stopping again when it arises (the NICE guidelines no longer have an age limit.