Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Not a Forum member? You can still subscribe to our Free Newsletter

media

Author Topic: bone density results help please!  (Read 1822 times)

laszla

bone density results help please!
« on: January 20, 2022, 11:48:06 AM »

I was already very down having recently found out 3 years of hrt seem to have been virtually useless - my estrogen plasma levels are low - and now I have received my bone density results bearing the jolly news that I have osteopenia.

Can someone please help with the specific symbols and their meanings. The meno clinic wont give me feedback for another 2.5 months (and I've already been waiting for nearly 3 months) and I am really anxious to understand these.
I do all the right things - walking, resistence training (weights and elastics), meditation, fermented foods, fish, vegetables, e.v olive oil diet, multivitamins, bla bla bla, blood iron, thyroid and vit d are fine.
I am thin, have lost weight, about 10 pc of my existing weight and my BMI about 17. GP sent me for cancer checks, nothing.
But clearly if I'm not absorbing the estrogel then I wont be getting the bone protecting benefits of HRT

Numbers are: BMD T score
sp: 0.9 (spine maybe?)
hip: -2.1 (hip self explanatory)
nof: -2 (no idea what nof is)
osteopenia

thanks

p.s am 55

laszla

Re: bone density results help please!
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2022, 02:37:44 PM »

I rang the osteoporosis charity and Nof is neck of femur in case this is useful for anyone else

Limpy

« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2022, 07:42:07 PM »

Hi Laszla,
I have had osteoporosis.
The neck of the femur was T-2.7 definitely osteoporosis, the bulk of my hip was T-2.1 osteopenia.
After 5 years on HRT and Denosumab (osteoporosis treament)
The neck of the femur is now T-2.4, the bulk of hip T-2.0
So I I still have osteopenia - and still need Denosumab.
I suspect that what really helps for osteoporosis/osteopenia is weight bearing exercise (e.g. running, walking, weights, lunges squats).
Osteoporosis if the thing that worries people, the cut off T score for that is T-2.6. The full definition is:

"A normal T-score falls between +1 and -1. Scores between -1 and -2.5 indicate low bone density, also called osteopenia. A T-score of -2.5 or lower indicates an established case of osteoporosis."

I've just seen you've got another  osteoporosis thread - the above will apply there too.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2022, 07:46:32 PM by Strongkat »

laszla

« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2022, 10:26:00 PM »

Thanks strongkat, I'm glad you've had some improvement,
I entirely agree that weight bearing exercise is the way to go, there are also recent studies showing promising effects of probiotics (which seem to help virtually every mental and physical problem).
So it's out with the weights and off to pound the pavements for me...

Limpy

« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2022, 10:17:21 AM »

Thanks strongkat, I'm glad you've had some improvement,
I entirely agree that weight bearing exercise is the way to go, there are also recent studies showing promising effects of probiotics (which seem to help virtually every mental and physical problem).
So it's out with the weights and off to pound the pavements for me...

Definitely seems to be the thing to do. Enjoy! :)