Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Not a Forum member? You can still subscribe to our Free Newsletter

media

Author Topic: Struggling  (Read 1187 times)

Kdingy

• First Flush
Struggling
« on: January 14, 2022, 01:51:58 PM »

Hi, first time posting.  Really struggling with day to day life, anxiety, low mood.  Aches and pains.  Normally a level headed person and all of a sudden I’m accusing my other half of all sorts and wanting to scream at people in supermarkets.
Not had a period in over two years but told by my nurse I wasn’t in menopause as I had had spotting a couple of times and to go onto menopause matters and familiarise myself with the symptoms before I decide to “bother” my Dr.  Has anyone else been met with this kind of attitude?  Its really put me off asking my Dr for help. 

Flossieteacake

Re: Struggling
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2022, 01:59:05 PM »

Hello and welcome. I am so sorry your nurse has been so dismissive and unhelpful. It is so hard going through this and having a Dr like that makes it so much worse. Have you heard of perimenopause? This is what we go through before having the actual menopause. You can still have periods during perimenopause so your nurse does not seem to understand. I think you should talk to your Dr about how you are feeling. You are not 'bothering' them. You are struggling and need support. HRT can really help with the symptoms you describe. I am sure many members will be along with encouraging words too.

PeriWhat?!

« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2022, 01:59:22 PM »

Hi!

First thoughts, please don't be afraid to bother your GP, they're there to help you.

sheila99

« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2022, 02:05:25 PM »

:welcomemm:
Oh yes, it's far too common. Hopefully your gp will be better educated than the nurse. Your symptoms all sound meno related to me. Have a look at the 'advice for husbands' pinned post, it will show you just how many symptoms it causes. The nurse is in for a shock when she gets there, perimenipause (the period, often years, before meno) can have just as severe symptoms than meno itself. Have a look round and educate yourself as much as you can. Hopefully you have a gp that knows about meno but many don't so it's best if can argue your case from a position of knowledge. My symptoms were similar to yours plus insomnia, much, much better on hrt.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2022, 02:43:41 PM »

Hi! at least you were guided here  ;).   :welcomemm:

Lets familiarise ourselves: menopause = last monthly period.  End of.  However: it can take a few years in peri-menopause B4 the last bleed.  Some find it useful to keep a mood/food/symptom diary.  My bleeds waxed and waned for years until suddenly, I realised that they had gone.  If you have had intermittent spotting you should have been referred for a scan of the womb as fibroids can cause this botheration. Not dismissed!

We think that we are in menopause proper after 12 months without a proper period, even if there are gaps.  Otherwise we have to begin counting, all over again  >:(  ::)

Browse round.  Make notes.  Do read the 'bladder issues' and 'vaginal atrophy' threads.  4warned is 4armed  ;)

Which symptom would you like to ease first?

Kdingy

• First Flush
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2022, 01:44:48 PM »

:)Thanks everyone for your replies.  I will be phoning my Dr on Monday.  I think if I can tackle the low mood first the baby steps with everything else.

ocallagd

• First Flush
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2022, 06:08:13 PM »

Just hang in there. It’s hard work but my doctor introduced me to this website and I’m so glad she did.   She listened and didn’t put pressure on me to go on HRT even though I was a crying mess.   I was peri first and having periods all over the place. I tried patches for 1st year   Fab they were for a year.  Then I had merina.

Dex139

• First Flush
« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2022, 06:26:26 PM »

I couldn't pass this by without replying.  Please, do go back and speak with your GP.  I belong to a large GP group.  The first female GP I spoke with positively ranted about HRT - totally opposed to it.  The male GP's have been an absolute godsend and I have been so grateful for their support.  Good luck xx