Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 76 out now. (Summer issue, June 2024)

media

Author Topic: Weight gain post menopause  (Read 1798 times)

Flapjack20

• First Flush
Weight gain post menopause
« on: January 18, 2022, 11:31:53 AM »

Please, please can someone help me.
I am 57, healthy, had a moderate peri menopause and stopped my periods finally about 18 months ago. I have never slept well, but this has improved since I cut down on alcohol.
Suddenly I am gaining pounds daily.
I gave up alcohol for 2 weeks and have also since cut down drastically.
I eat well, but do snack little & often, but compensate with smaller lunches.
I have upped my exercise to at least 5 times a week.
Nothing is giving - I continue to gain weight on my breasts, tummy and hips.
Its really getting me down as I am only 5ft 1, had eating problems as a young adult and been weight conscious always. Its affecting my self esteem and confidence and I am apologetic when I meet people as feel they must be thinking "holy cow, she is putting on the weight!
I appreciate that others may have much more serious issues, but this is serious for me as a person.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Weight gain post menopause
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2022, 11:41:06 AM »

HI! have you actually stepped onto the scales?  My apron dropped years ago so that when sitting or standing, I look 'fat'  ::).  I haven't in fact added any weight.

Make sure that you are fitted correctly for a bra which will improve your over-all shape.  Apparently 85% of women wear the wrong size every day!  Mind U, I went to 3 different shops and was given 3 different measurements and cup sizes on the same day!

:welcomemm:   Have you had your thyroid function tested recently as there is a condition which may cause weight gain.  Let us know how you get on and NO, others 'may have more serious issues' but this is affecting you.  Don't judge yourself on what others 'might' be going through ;-).

marge

« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2022, 02:52:13 PM »

Much the same for me Flapjack20. I think they used to call it Middle Aged Spread!

Flapjack20

• First Flush
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2022, 09:24:51 AM »

Hi both, thanks so much for taking the time to reply.
Indeed, I have stepped on the scale and can go up by 3 pounds in a day. I keep hoping its water but it doesn't seem to go down again, it just keeps going north.
I wondered about dehydration. I dont drink much water, so perhaps my body is holding onto water?