Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 76 out now. (Summer issue, June 2024)

media

Author Topic: How much progesterone do you take?  (Read 797 times)

Kiwi Fran

• First Flush
How much progesterone do you take?
« on: January 16, 2022, 05:43:58 PM »

Hi everyone, I am on a 50 patch and take 1/4 of a norethisterone 5mg daily. With little advice available in NZ, I’d like to ask how much do you take and how often?  I find that even at this dose (doc thinks I’m taking a full tab daily) my neck skin is still annoyingly oily and spotty (though better than the full tab) and I more often than not feel like I’m either ovulating or about to get my period ( which is now 50+ days late)

Any advice? can I stop taking the progesterone for 12 days of the month or only take it every other day. My doctor is no expert and even if I was to see her I’d need to know what to ask for.

Thanks in advance.

sheila99

Re: How much progesterone do you take?
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2022, 10:00:09 PM »

Are you meno or peri? If you're not meno (1 year without a bleed) you should be on a sequi regime so will have a monthly bleed. For this you take oestrogen each day and progesterone 12-14 days per cycle (depending on which product it is).
I don't know about the dose of norethisterone, it's rarely prescribed in the UK except in an evorel patch.

Kiwi Fran

• First Flush
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2022, 04:44:56 AM »

I’m in peri or I was when I started this. I think she put me on the tore of progesterone because I had heavy periods.  Because we know so little here I’m panicking slightly that it’s dangerous to drop my progesterone but I’m thinking I might just stop on the 1st of each month and pick it up again on the 14th and see what happens.

Hurdity

« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2022, 09:52:18 AM »

Hi Kiwi Fran

As well as with a combi patch, norethisterone is also prescribed as part of combi oral HRT.

You can see the preparations here for peri and post-menopause ie cyclical or continuous use:
https://www.menopausematters.co.uk/perimeno.php
https://www.menopausematters.co.uk/postmeno.php

You will see that the dose varies according to oestrogen dose so for low and medium dose oestrogen, during perimenopause the dose is 1 mg per 12 days in a 28 day cycle, and for post-menopausal continuous dose - 0.5 mg for low dose oestrogen and 1 mg for higher doses.

If you have heavy periods though the dose is usually higher according to the product information.

https://www.medicines.org.uk/emc/product/1494/smpc#gref

I think you should be guided by your periods as to whether it is working or not, although the information on dosing is readily available.

As sheila99 says you would probably be better off on a cyclical regime and then at least your periods ( if you are still having them) will be predictable. Also are you able to cut the tablet accurately because variation in the dose could also cause variable side effects?

You haven't said how old you are but also you might benefit from increasing the oestrogen dose too?

Hurdity x