Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Author Topic: Review of my HRT needed??  (Read 680 times)

Julia Dizzy

Review of my HRT needed??
« on: January 16, 2022, 01:26:27 PM »

Hello ladies,
Have been on HRT since Sept 2019, after suffering 10 years of hot flushes without any HRT. Last period 2009. I'm 65 now and have been using Estradot 50 patches and 100mg oral Utrogestan every night. I have also taken a blob of Tostran gel twice a week for the last couple of months.

I had a bowel resection last July which removed a cancerous tumour - and have recently finished "belt and braces" chemo from which I am still recovering, it's been a hell of a journey to say the least.

My question really is - my hot flushes are controlled on this HRT regime, but I still have generalised anxiety and a lot of bone/muscle issues with really bad knees, hips and shoulders. I was under a local NHS menopause clinic initially after my GP saying I was too old for HRT at 62(!) >:(....but they seem to have stopped appointments  there since the pandemic, so haven't seen anyone about HRT. My GP isn't much use as you can guess and won't change anything without the clinic's say so.

Any advice for me please? Thank you.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Review of my HRT needed??
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2022, 02:27:02 PM »

Is your Surgeon OK with you continuing HRT?  MayB send a message to Dr Currie on the Forum, for which there is a Fee: could you ring the Menopause Clinic to find out if they are closed completely and if so, can they advise somewhere else; are you able to take a cancellation appt. at short notice, that may get you into the system again. 

As oestrogen levels drop, muscles may become lax = aches and pains.  Anxiety can be eased with appropriate medication, either daily or 'as necessary'.  MayB a short course of 'valium' to see if it helps?  I have found Bachs Rescue Remedy mouth spray or pastilles useful too. 

Let us know how you get on.

sheila99

Re: Review of my HRT needed??
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2022, 02:49:42 PM »

My meno clinic seems to have used the pandemic to stop appointments too. A different gp is probably your only free option - perhaps develop some hot flushes if you want to try a higher dose. Failing that Dr Currie is your next cheapest option, £30 to answer one email question which might be enough for your needs? If it was me I'd want to trial a higher dose. Your symptoms can have other causes but imo worth trying this first. I think someone else has reported needing a higher dose to control anxiety even though flushes were controlled.