Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: High estrogen levels really worried.  (Read 2480 times)

Melanie1UK

• First Flush
High estrogen levels really worried.
« on: January 16, 2022, 11:32:38 AM »

Hi there, I'm currently using 2 pumps daily of oestrogel and 2 utrogestan capsules on the last 12 days of my cycle. I just did a hormone self test to see what my free androgen levels were because I'm suffering with extremely low libido and fatigue, the test also checked my other hormone levels. I'm really worried because my estrogen levels came back 4 times above the normal range. I stopped applying the gel using my hands 5 weeks before doing the test so has not to affect the results. I don't know what to do now, my doctor is useless and I'm freaking out because of these high results. I did a estrogen test last year before using HRT and this was in the high range but not over.My free androgen levels where borderline low, but given the high estrogen levels I don't know whether to stop using HRT completely.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: High estrogen levels really worried.
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2022, 11:54:13 AM »

What's a 'hormone self test' when it's up and dried, something that you have paid for?

:welcomemm:

As hormone levels alter throughout every 24/7, my gynaecologist won't do blood tests which are reliably unreliable.  Where abouts in peri are you? How are your periods performing?  Mine waxed and waned, I knew that it was natural for The Change.  Never queried whether my blood tests needed checking  :-\

I think that you are over thinking this.  Get rid of the testing kit.  Some find that keeping a mood/food/diary of use to chart progress.  MayB think which menopause symptom you wanted to ease which drove you to try HRT? 

I am sure that someone who is using a similar regime will be along.  It can be Trial and Error, particurlay if your hormones are still active.  Tell us more about yourself?

CLKD

« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2022, 11:54:51 AM »

Have you had relief on the regime?  It is never good to stop any medication suddenly!

Melanie1UK

• First Flush
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2022, 12:32:50 PM »

Have you had relief on the regime?  It is never good to stop any medication suddenly!

When I started I had fatigue, low libido, very poor sleep, bad PM's, anxiety, palpitations. My sleep is much better, so is anxiety and palpitations. Fatigue and libido is still bad.

Melanie1UK

• First Flush
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2022, 12:38:53 PM »

Hi there, I'm currently using 2 pumps daily of oestrogel and 2 utrogestan capsules on the last 12 days of my cycle. I just did a hormone self test to see what my free androgen levels were because I'm suffering with extremely low libido and fatigue, the test also checked my other hormone levels. I'm really worried because my estrogen levels came back 4 times above the normal range. I stopped applying the gel using my hands 5 weeks before doing the test so has not to affect the results. I don't know what to do now, my doctor is useless and I'm freaking out because of these high results. I did a estrogen test last year before using HRT and this was in the high range but not over.My free androgen levels where borderline low, but given the high estrogen levels I don't know whether to stop using HRT completely.
What's a 'hormone self test' when it's up and dried, something that you have paid for?

:welcomemm:

As hormone levels alter throughout every 24/7, my gynaecologist won't do blood tests which are reliably unreliable.  Where abouts in peri are you? How are your periods performing?  Mine waxed and waned, I knew that it was natural for The Change.  Never queried whether my blood tests needed checking  :-\

I think that you are over thinking this.  Get rid of the testing kit.  Some find that keeping a mood/food/diary of use to chart progress.  MayB think which menopause symptom you wanted to ease which drove you to try HRT? 

I am sure that someone who is using a similar regime will be along.  It can be Trial and Error, particurlay if your hormones are still active.  Tell us more about yourself?

I think im coming to the end of Peri I'm 52 and I think Ive been in peri for about 8 years, my sleep has improved on HRT and my anxiety and palpitations but my fatigue and low libido are the same.

CLKD

« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2022, 02:21:41 PM »

Have you recently had a blood test for VitD levels?  A few years ago I would do 20 mins. weeding then have to sit absolutely still for 2.5 hours  :'(.  Apparently my VitD levels were very low, capsules sorted the problem.

We shouldn't blame everything on meno ;-). 

sheila99

« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2022, 02:56:02 PM »

Perhaps there's been some sort of contamination. You're not on a high dose and you don't have symptoms of too much oestrogen. I would keep the hrt as it is and add testosterone. You usually need a referral to a menopause clinic for this.

Melanie1UK

• First Flush
« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2022, 02:59:13 PM »

Have you recently had a blood test for VitD levels?  A few years ago I would do 20 mins. weeding then have to sit absolutely still for 2.5 hours  :'(.  Apparently my VitD levels were very low, capsules sorted the problem.

We shouldn't blame everything on meno ;-).

I did a D test last year and my levels were good, have been supplemnting for a few years now.

Melanie1UK

• First Flush
« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2022, 03:04:44 PM »

Perhaps there's been some sort of contamination. You're not on a high dose and you don't have symptoms of too much oestrogen. I would keep the hrt as it is and add testosterone. You usually need a referral to a menopause clinic for this.

My free androgen test came back borderline, so I think I definitely need testosterone.

Hopeful

« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2022, 03:17:41 PM »

Hi Melanie
Was your test a finger **** test, if so you have to stop the oestrogel for 4 weeks(or use a glove to apply, I presume)I think as it is on the skin of your hand and can alter the reading. I read this advice on one of the self test sites.

CLKD

« Reply #10 on: January 16, 2022, 04:37:14 PM »

Why self test with something that isn't available on the NHS  :-\.  Too many opportunity for false readings?

Finger **** for diabetic levels is usual but for hormone testing which are up and down all the while? 

Gilla999

« Reply #11 on: January 16, 2022, 04:41:33 PM »

Was this a finger **** test? If so it is very possible/likely that it is contaminated feom your HRT despite your precaution. I've done the same thing numerous times - worn gloves for two months while applying my spray - and the result was STILL contaminated. I don't know how it happens (the shower when washing? Could literally be anything) but I have never been able to do a finger **** test while on HRT and not have it be contaminated by the product, no matter how careful.

I would highly recommend you have a venous blood test done instead before changing anything out of panic from the reading. You pay slightly extra for it (£30 more through Medichecks) but it's super simple! You just take the test box to the nearest clinic and then post it off x

Melanie1UK

• First Flush
« Reply #12 on: January 16, 2022, 09:00:05 PM »

Was this a finger **** test? If so it is very possible/likely that it is contaminated feom your HRT despite your precaution. I've done the same thing numerous times - worn gloves for two months while applying my spray - and the result was STILL contaminated. I don't know how it happens (the shower when washing? Could literally be anything) but I have never been able to do a finger **** test while on HRT and not have it be contaminated by the product, no matter how careful.

I would highly recommend you have a venous blood test done instead before changing anything out of panic from the reading. You pay slightly extra for it (£30 more through Medichecks) but it's super simple! You just take the test box to the nearest clinic and then post it off x

Yes it was a finger **** test, it might of got contaminated, I was wearing gloves to apply the gel but after that I probably touched my arms or legs without thinking!
I will have a look into medichecks and get a venous test done, thankyou for your helpful reply.

Gilla999

« Reply #13 on: January 17, 2022, 09:08:50 AM »

No problem - I have been there! In fact if you search the box an identical thread exists from when it happened to me  :)

Medichecks is really simple - you have to hunt around the site a bit to find the most cost effective test as they offer so many. If it's only estrogen you need there is one for £49 + £30 for the venous charge. If you want Estrogen and Progesterone together search for the "HRT test" as that's the most cost effective one (all of their other hormone tests don't seem to offer E AND P together for some reason). I go to my local hospital to have the sample taken, you post it straight off to Medichecks and then get the results back online about 3 days after they receive your sample. Good luck xx

shoppingqueen

« Reply #14 on: January 19, 2022, 11:21:16 AM »

Agree on this one completely. I do all my bloods via medichecks and venous blood draw at local private hospital. Worth the £30 as you know they’ve got enough. It’s good as well that you get a doctor’s overview of your results and what they imply, isn’t it?
Pages: [1] 2