Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Mobile version of the Forum Click here

media

Author Topic: Estrogel shortage  (Read 4244 times)

lizzog

Estrogel shortage
« on: January 12, 2022, 04:09:37 PM »

I went into the pharmacy today to collect my prescription to be told that there is a shortage of Estrogel again and advised me to speak to my GP about alternatives.
I'm 55 and take utrogestan for progesterone, and my last bleed was last November when I had my mirena out, prior to that it was in May and prior to that it was May 2019!
Any clue about what alternatives are out there?  No one could say how long the shortage would last for!! I don't really want to chop and change if it's going to mess with my body!

Taz2

Re: Estrogel shortage
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2022, 04:20:27 PM »

This is the latest info I can find on HRT availability https://thebms.org.uk/2021/11/british-menopause-society-further-update-on-hrt-supply-shortages-22-november-2021/

Have you tried all of your local pharmacies as they may have stock?

Taz x  :-\

lizzog

« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2022, 05:01:09 PM »

According to the pharmacist at my chemist she said they wouldn't have any stock it's the same everywhere.
There was a delay last month too.
Wish I lived in France - it's over the counter there!! I went a few years ago and had forgotten my Estrogel and was able to buy some over the counter once I had got over to them what I wanted in very bad French!! Will have to stockpile it next time I'm there  ::)
Thanks for the link - will take a look!

Angelasurrey

« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2022, 05:10:19 PM »

Hello dear,

The only alternative I can think of is Sandrena gel…
Totally agree HRT should be over the counter here!

All the best.

lizzog

« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2022, 07:19:30 PM »

Thanks - I'm waiting to see what the GP offers me!

PeriWhat?!

« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2022, 07:29:55 PM »

Hi I was about to start a thread on this too. All the pharmacies I've been to have said it's a supply issue and not a production issue, so they're all hoping to get more in, but don't know when. I just had my prescription doubled so I need two bottles a month and I spent the past two weeks chasing Oestrogel around the city!
I was told I could go back to the equivalent dose of patches if I got stuck. Hope I don't have to  as I've just got to grips with the gel and it's working brilliantly.

Brindle

« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2022, 09:30:47 PM »

I had the same issue when I went to collect my prescription Xmas eve. They said there was a supply issue. I spoke to my GP and as I was finding the gel a bit frustrating in regards to drying time, asked for the Lenzetto spray as a substitute. Collected that later in the day to be given 10 containers! So won't be running out of that any time soon. I found the little foil sachets of Sandrena a pain, some wouldn't open and they are just fiddly. The spray is definitely easier to use, but am having to experiment with the dosage to get the balance right.

Dotty

« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2022, 11:30:54 AM »

This is a quote from Besins on a menopause Facebook forum:

“Please note that we have been experiencing exceptionally high demand for Oestrogel as a result some of the wholesaler branches may have sold out the stocks and waiting for the next delivery. Please ask the pharmacy to contact us, some have already contacted us and we will try to assist them.”