Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Author Topic: UTI symptoms/ bladder pain  (Read 1520 times)

Marshabookworm

UTI symptoms/ bladder pain
« on: January 10, 2022, 09:20:11 PM »

Hi all. Bit of advice. I've been getting for a few months symptoms that I can only describe as a UTI - burning, pain, weeing a lot etc. Have had antibiotics when GP hasn't bothered testing and no antibiotics when they have as it's not showing an infection.

One GP says women get more UTIs when they get older, another says it could be hormonal. I've been given Replens, which worked at the beginning but not so much now.

I've had a pain/ache for nearly a week now. Feels inside around the wee hole (don't know what else to call it!) Up the front along the urethra, and along the sides by the crease of the groin. It hurts sometimes when I wee, but mostly it's there all the time. GP dip tested, no infection, told me to ride it out basically.

My health anxiety has kicked in and I'm convinced it's something bad, bladder cancer or something bowel or uterine related. The sensible part of me says it's atrophy, but the replens isn't working so not so sure. I'm so fed up of being in pain and worrying.

Taz2

Re: UTI symptoms/ bladder pain
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2022, 09:35:08 PM »

These symptoms are typical of vaginal atrophy. You need to be prescribed topical oestrogen (in my opinion and experience) and this will be needed for life. I am on full HRT plus vagifem pessaries to keep mine at bay. Are you on HRT at all?

Taz  :hug:

Gracie

« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2022, 10:08:35 PM »

This is exactly how my vaginal atrophy started off.  I was prescribed Vagifem and it took 4 months for my symptoms to clear up.
I would advise you don't delay getting treatment as the condition gets worse, never better.

Katejo

« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2022, 10:26:16 PM »

This is exactly how my vaginal atrophy started off.  I was prescribed Vagifem and it took 4 months for my symptoms to clear up.
I would advise you don't delay getting treatment as the condition gets worse, never better.
Very similar for me too.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2022, 09:36:08 AM »

Ask for a referral to a menopause clinic, not a gynaecologist but a decicated team who know what they are talking about.  Is there a Nurse Practitioner at your Surgery who could prescribe 'vagifem' or 'ovestin' to treat the atrophy?   Also, buy and read the "Me and My Menopausal Vagina" book then pass to your GP. 

Wrensong

« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2022, 09:49:09 AM »

I agree with the others that this sounds like VA/GSM for which you would need vaginal oestrogen treatment.  If you are having problems getting your GP surgery to consider this as cause maybe use the term GSM: Genitourinary Syndrome of Menopause, which seems to better convey the extent of changes we get at menopause affecting both vagina & bladder.  Have a look at the attached link for more comprehensive info & if need be show it to your GP.  I hope you make progress getting appropriate treatment, which given time should make a world of difference to how you feel & importantly prevent the condition worsening.
Wx

http://www.bssm.org.uk/wp-content/uploads/2021/03/GSM-BSSM.pdf

Gracie

« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2022, 10:43:50 AM »

That's a great link, Wrensong and I have bookmarked it for anyone else who might have problems getting treatment in the future. I believe it should be copied and taken to the surgery for anyone who is refused the appropriate treatment for what is a chronic condition.

I recall reading a paper from an American doctor, it made for very interesting reading on the subject of Vaginal Atrophy, she ended with the statement that with an aging population doctors will expect to see more women coming forward needing help living with this "unbearable" condition.

Marshabookworm, I would advise you print off a copy and take with you to your doctor.

CLKD

« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2022, 11:20:21 AM »

:thankyou:

Wrensong

« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2022, 11:40:53 AM »

Gracie - I have a massive collection of meno-related bookmarks & like to post anything that seems relevant, as it's one thing reading a member's opinion & quite another having a reputable source to print off & show in cases where busy medics may be unaware & need a little help getting up to speed.

The sad thing is - how many women put up with the suffering because they are embarrassed to flag it up, think it an inevitable part of ageing that can't be treated or have been turned away when they ask for help?  Hopefully with the profile of menopause at last being raised, more & more women will get the help they need.
Wx

CLKD

« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2022, 12:59:07 PM »

Also how many are sitting in care homes in intense pain and discomfort due to a lack of knowledge  :'(

When my bladder nips at the end of a P I take 2 "nurofen' 3 times a day for a couple to relax the spincter.

Wrensong

« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2022, 01:31:43 PM »

Bless you Marshabookworm, sounds as though you have considerable stress in your life at present given your mum's situation & your own health issues.  Please do what you can to resolve the constipation as any bloating from being backed up can put pressure on the bladder, preventing you emptying completely & increasing discomfort.  I hope you manage to see a sympathetic GP tomorrow.  Let us know how you get on if you have time.
Wx

Gracie

« Reply #11 on: January 11, 2022, 01:42:10 PM »

With all that you have going on in your life it's not surprising you are down and probably overthinking things that are making you more anxious.
Its not easy when you are down but try to be assertive when you see the doctor, make sure you are prepared for the consultation with questions.

Hope it all goes well for you tomorrow X

CLKD

« Reply #12 on: January 11, 2022, 03:09:42 PM »

Take a list to chat to the GP ;-)

How much support is your Mum getting? 

As for bowels - we have a thread on that here  ::). I would be 'constipated' in the lead up to each period.  10 mins B4 a bleed began, even if a period wasn't due, I was have to 'run' fast.  Which limited days out at 'that time of the month'.  So hormones certainly affected my bowels, plus not eating properly from the age of 5 (which now has a name  :o) - my bowel spasm slowed up so much that I felt sick/hungry all the while  >:(.  My GP gave me appropriate meds which saved my Life.  'colpermin' peppermint capsules and I think, 'motillium' to be swallowed within the hour B4 my main meals.  I used it for years.

When m y spaniel had wind he got 'buscopan'  ;)

Jules

« Reply #13 on: January 17, 2022, 07:51:52 PM »

Thank you all. I'm going to try one of our male doctors tomorrow in the hope he is a little more sympathetic, it seems the female doctors are less so...all I can say is just wait until they get to the age when EVERYTHING starts to go wrong  :)

I'm feeling all very down about it. I'm very constipated the last few days, and have terrible trapped wind also. I'm putting 2 and 2 together and coming up with the inevitable 5 and thinking this is something terribly wrong with me. My mum is going through chemo at the moment and I can't help but think my problems will turn out to be something similar.  :'(

I can sympathise. I've got VA, had to stop my vaginal estrogen but also had lots of digestive problems likely through stress. Worrying it was something serious made it worse. I've had some tests. Ask your doctor to do the necessary checks.

CLKD

« Reply #14 on: January 17, 2022, 07:57:50 PM »

Jules - Why did you stop the VA treatment  :-\ - what necessary checks would you suggest asking a GP for?  How do you feel without appropriate treatment?