Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 76 out now. (Summer issue, June 2024)

media

Author Topic: Does estrogen levels affect your sleep?  (Read 1574 times)

Noheroicsplease

Does estrogen levels affect your sleep?
« on: January 10, 2022, 02:01:02 PM »

I always thought progesterone was the sleep fairy - but I recently changed over from Evorel to Estradot patches and I wonder if I'm absorbing as well - my sleep has been awful.

I am not having any sweats or feel warm, though, which I typically might if I feel a fall in estrogen.

Just wondering if there is a reason for crap sleep currently - even though it's been dire for most of the past 10 years!

Dotty

Re: Does estrogen levels affect your sleep?
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2022, 04:29:25 PM »

Yes low oestrogen can cause insomnia x

Gilla999

« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2022, 06:09:07 PM »

My own experience is that I now ONLY suffer from bad sleep when it is related to my estrogen level being too low for my body's satisfaction (it doesn't even have to be clinically low). When it got really bad (at the start when I didn't realise i was in peri) I also started having night sweats but for me my sleep is the first thing to "go" when my body is unhappy with my E level, night sweats then follow when I don't do anything about it.

However for me when it's related to too low estrogen my sleep problems are always a problem with waking in the middle of the night, not a problem getting to sleep. If it's a problem getting to sleep that for me is usually anxiety based and I haven't had that in quite some time (thankfully!)

Noheroicsplease

« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2022, 06:56:47 PM »

Thanks, that's interesting. Yes, mine is in the middle of the night - not falling asleep

Gilla999

« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2022, 07:07:54 AM »

I would really love to understand the physiology of the 3am estrogen connection. I did read that night sweats are caused by a release of adrenaline and cortisol - not necessarily a problem with your temperature - and I guess if that is happening even to a lesser degree (so no sweating) it is reasonable that it might wake you from sleep and stop you from easily getting back off.

sheila99

« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2022, 10:49:58 AM »

My insomnia was due to low oestrogen too. Got to sleep OK but woke up around 2am and couldn't get to sleep again. Utro doesn't seem to help my sleep though it does for others, I just feel dopey in the day.

Angelasurrey

« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2022, 01:24:36 PM »

Hello ladies,
For the first two weeks of cycle, usually its waking up in the night. For the second two weeks (ie from Ovulation to Day to of Period), it’s being able to actually fall asleep.

It’s so so hard.