Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Mobile version of the Forum Click here

media

Author Topic: How long does oestrogen stay on the skin?  (Read 1047 times)

Evangelista

How long does oestrogen stay on the skin?
« on: January 10, 2022, 09:55:51 AM »

Hi

I use Lenzetto on my forearm in the morning.

I sleep with my arms crossed across my chest, and it occurred to me that there's presumably a possibility of some oestrogen transfer, depending on how long oestrogen stays on the skin.

The leaflet says avoid contact for an hour and doesn't mention that eventually you get a base level of oestrogen sitting on the application site. Is it therefore safe to assume it all gets fully absorbed?

Wondering whether to apply on the inner thigh instead.

My mum has oestrogen-dependent breast cancer but due to age at diagnosis (77) the consultant didn't think that increased my risk, but obviously it's a consideration.

Thoughts welcome, thanks

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: How long does oestrogen stay on the skin?
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2022, 12:44:56 PM »

Is your Mum undergoing treatment?

It is possible that the gel could infiltrate the breast tissue, maybe if worried use it on the inner thigh?  Someone will hopefully be along with advice  ::)

Evangelista

« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2022, 12:49:54 PM »

Hi CLKD

Mum is on letrozole and has other health and mobility issues so can't have surgery, but the consultant thinks the tablet alone will sort her out.

Lenzetto is the quick-drying spray, so possibly less residue than the likes of oestrogel. I tend to think better safe than sorry, and I've only been on it a month or so.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2022, 01:30:09 PM »

I agree with using the most easiest way of application.  I wonder how much oestrogen your Mum is producing at 77, in. order to have a cancer that is oestrogen dependant.  I had the affected lump removed followed by 4 weeks of precautionary radiation.  'tamoxifen' almost killed me  :-\ so I didn't take it for very long. 

Evangelista

« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2022, 01:39:49 PM »

That's not something I'd thought about. Mum does have night time continence issues and I was going to ask the GP to have a look at her with the thought that she's got either vaginal or urethral atrophy and may need oestrogen,  possibly both topical and an oral or transdermal one.
Unfortunately mum had a fall and now doesn't walk or stand (she was already frail and not very mobile) and so other priorities have arisen.
Having listened to Jane Lewis talking about the likelihood that many elderly women are suffering,  particularly those in care, as mum now is, I wanted to at least ask the question. 
She also has a level of dementia so we're dealing with lots of things, plus the home is shut to visitors due to a Covid outbreak.  Tricky times.

sheila99

« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2022, 11:42:45 PM »

Under the circumstances I would use thighs instead, that way you can stop worrying.