Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Author Topic: New to forum-recommended to start Vagifem  (Read 3264 times)

Vicky61

New to forum-recommended to start Vagifem
« on: January 06, 2022, 09:22:55 PM »

Hi everyone! 

My name is Vicky and I just joined.  I am 61 and went through menopause about 5 years ago with a breeze.  I have 2 grown children and had a very regular cycle since I was 10 years old.  I have been healthy thankfully for most of my life.  I had my right ovary removed about 2 years ago as a large cyst was discovered when having an ultrasound done as I was having bladder control issues.  Since menopause I have noticed that I am getting several UTI's a year, my bladder control is terrible, and having sex is torture.  My gynecologist has recommended Vagifem as she believes all my symptoms are related to my low estrogen levels. I tried pelvic floor therapy as well as a device called Pelvitone, and there has been no improvement.  After doing some research I agree with my doctor that all these symptoms are related as they started and have progressed since going into menopause.  I did buy the Vagifem but after reading all the risks I am honestly afraid to use it.  Just wondering what other members think about this HRT and what their experience is.  My bladder is controlling my life now and I'm tired of having to wear the biggest pads available.

Flossieteacake

Re: New to forum-recommended to start Vagifem
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2022, 07:35:03 AM »

Hello Vicky and welcome. Like you, I was experiencing constant UTI symptoms. Reading threads on this forum I realised I have vaginal atrophy. From what I have read it will not improve without treatment and the treatment has to be ongoing. I understand it can be scary to try something and especially when the leaflet lists all sorts of side effects. I found vagifem wonderful. The only reason I was unable to continue with it is because it affected my IBS. I now use ovestin cream. I think it is worth you trying the vagifem as atrophy symptoms can make life so miserable. I personally wish I had treatment sooner. 

Joaniepat

« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2022, 07:51:34 AM »

Welcome Vicky61. The leaflet in the Vagifem box refers to the old fashioned type, oral HRT. They put it in all HRT products. It is out of date and needs changing. The product you are using is local oestrogen only, so there will be little to no systemic uptake.

As to the benefits, I agree with Flossieteacake  :).

JP x

Haydo

« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2022, 08:18:53 AM »

Welcome Vicky.  I agree with everything Flossieteacake and Joaniepat have said. 

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2022, 08:21:28 AM »

:welcomemm:  the info on the leaflet needs changing.  In fact, I never read leaflets in medication boxes  ::)

For me VA was like razor blades  :o up there.  I had UTI type symptoms and was treated with Antibiotics until my GP realised that my urine samples hadn't gone to a lab..  He suggested appropriate treatment which works for me.  When I get the need to pee nip I take 3 'nurofen' capsules for a couple of days and up the amount of 'ovestin' I am using. 

We have 'bladder issues' and 'vaginal atrophy' threads, which make interesting reading.  4 warned is 4 armed ;-)

Browse round.

Vicky61

« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2022, 02:30:03 PM »

Thank you for your replies!  I'm feeling better in giving Vagifem a try.  Where can I find those threads?  I tried in search, but nothing comes up for me.

PeriWhat?!

« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2022, 02:47:02 PM »

Hi Vicky61. Try clicking the search tab that's on the blue background top left of your screen,  instead of what looks like the main search bit at the top right of your screen. I have no idea why, I just noticed it works better. :)

Gracie

« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2022, 03:27:16 PM »

Hi Vicky and welcome.

I just want to add that Vagifem gave me my life back when I was diagnosed with vaginal atrophy, my symptoms were unbearable!
Don't delay on starting the treatment as it can take a long time to feel the benefits, for me it was four months.
I did start off using the treatment as per instructions but realised it wasn't having much effect. A phone call to my doctor and she suggested I use a tablet every day.
Loads of threads here to help you out, do let us know how you get on :)

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2022, 04:05:11 PM »

I'll bounce some.