Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Not a Forum member? You can still subscribe to our Free Newsletter

media

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Absorption.  (Read 4447 times)

Postmeno3

Absorption.
« on: January 06, 2022, 01:48:04 PM »

Hi ladies,
I am hoping for personal experience of absorption issues in these latter years? (I prefer no diversion to the search box here, thanks, as it's rarely specific enough for my complex issues.) I just got my bloods back and, at 60, they're even lower on the gel than previously, at 65, on the patches. Is anyone experiencing anything similar, or with an understanding of why it happens or of anything I can do to improve it? I'm pretty gutted, but want to find a way forward if I can. Many thanks. 🤞
« Last Edit: January 06, 2022, 05:28:35 PM by Postmeno3 »

VictoryV

Re: Absorption.
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2022, 04:46:51 PM »

How blinking frustrating!
No experience but had you applied the gel before the test? I often read we’re advised not to apply gel before blood work and am assuming the higher result of 65 was taken whilst wearing a patch. It’s a long shot explanation which doesn’t explain the decrease if you’d applied the gel before the test.

Postmeno3

« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2022, 05:05:39 PM »

Hi.
I had applied the gel the night before and to inner thigh, as recommended, recently changed to outer arm. No difference! 😢

sheila99

« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2022, 06:14:01 PM »

Assuming you're applying to clean, dry skin (no bath oils etc) I don't think there's anything you can do. Apart from the obvious - will they let you increase the dose? I'm not sure it's necessarily an age/post meno thing, there are young people who don't absorb well too.

Postmeno3

« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2022, 06:20:01 PM »

I'm not to increase the dose as yet. I can go up to two sprays if no progress on one. That's interesting about poor absorption being cross-generational. Thanks! 👍

Mary G

« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2022, 07:04:29 PM »

Postmeno3, assuming we are talking about pmol and not pg/mL, that is a low reading.   Even allowing for daily fluctuations, your levels should not be quite that low if you are using HRT.  Are you using one spray?  I found Lenzetto weaker than Oestrogel and needed three sprays to get to 300 pmol which was too low for me at the time.  If you are getting a reading of 60 pmol on one spray that is pretty similar to my poor absorption rate. 

One pump of Oestrogel gives me a blood level of about 300 pmol.  What dose of gel were you on?

If, like me, you are very post menopause, your natural levels are at probably at absolute rock bottom which doesn't help. .   

Postmeno3

« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2022, 07:35:01 PM »

Thanks MaryG.
The reading of 65 was on Evorel25.
Today's reading of 60 was on one pump of Oestrogel.
I've to come off the Oestrogel for a week to see if it's been the cause of being hungry all the time which was a new symptom, developed once on Oestrogel.
I've to start the Lenzetto in a week, one spray.
Yes, I'm very postmeno having had no replacement for many years and so most likely rock bottom as you say. So, it's a very difficult balance not to shock a flatlined system, but to help it recover.....if possible.

Dotty

« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2022, 08:29:54 PM »

Hi one pump of gel or a 25 patch is a very low dosage, so you are probably absorbing it but it is only giving you a reading of 60. It’s probable that you need to use more pumps to get a higher reading. I didn’t see ant effect until I got to 4 pumps x

Postmeno3

« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2022, 09:02:25 PM »

Thanks, Dotty. It makes perfect sense to me, too, that more oestrogen will have more chance of being absorbed and therefore have a beneficial effect. Sigh.....🙄

sheila99

« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2022, 10:53:30 PM »

Instead of changing to a different product each time (and each time on a very low dose) wouldn't it be better to stick one type and increase the dose? It seems to be every time you start on something new you go back to the beginning again when what you really need is a higher dose.

Postmeno3

« Reply #10 on: January 06, 2022, 10:56:49 PM »

Oh, sheila99, you're singing from my hymn sheet! Bless you! Am waiting for the next slump and then trying to climb back up again.......😢

sheila99

« Reply #11 on: January 07, 2022, 12:55:44 PM »

Could Dr Currie help? It's the most affordable and quickest private option at £30. If your gp would prescribe according to her recommendation it may save another 3 months of trying something you know won't help.

Postmeno3

« Reply #12 on: January 07, 2022, 01:16:07 PM »

I was wondering that. I just can't understand where the logic is in the current plan. I'm not sure if Dr. Currie actually recommends prescription and if anything ongoing is possible in terms of reviewing as I'm outwith her catchment area. I'll give it more thought. Thanks.

Dotty

« Reply #13 on: January 07, 2022, 01:33:41 PM »

I think your results show that a 25 patch gives you roughly the same absorption as 1 pump of gel. I think I’ve said previously that it’s not that you’re not absorbing - it’s that you’re not getting enough oestrogen to make a difference. I agree with previous posts that you need a larger patch or more pumps of gel. Seems obvious to me 🤔 . xxx

sheila99

« Reply #14 on: January 07, 2022, 02:10:42 PM »

I think Dr Currie is more of a one off but I'm not sure she has to replace the person you see currently? For the difference between £30 and £400 I'd give it a shot but that doesn't mean it's the right thing for you. I would be tempted to go up to 50mg by whatever means you can and see how you feel. Life is limited so perhaps better to do what's in your own best interests now.
Pages: [1] 2