Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 76 out now. (Summer issue, June 2024)

media

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Ageing and hormone interactions.  (Read 4791 times)

Postmeno3

Re: Ageing and hormone interactions.
« Reply #15 on: January 02, 2022, 07:10:58 PM »

If you do a search, you may find threads more relevant to your issue than this one, KarineT? This one is about how HRT's relationship with ageing fits for those using systemic HRT.

KarineT

« Reply #16 on: January 03, 2022, 06:35:36 PM »

Hi Postmeno3,

I know.  I've made a mistake.

I was supposed to post a new thread and, as I was reafing yours,  I accidentslly posted something.

Karine

Postmeno3

« Reply #17 on: January 03, 2022, 06:47:35 PM »

No worries. Easily done. It's always possible to remove your posts, too.

KarineT

« Reply #18 on: January 15, 2022, 07:28:36 PM »

Why would one need testosterone?  I thought the ovaries were still producing it in normal quantities.  I thought that it was the reduced amount of oestrogen and progesterone that was problematic.

VictoryV

« Reply #19 on: January 16, 2022, 01:10:24 AM »

Hi PM,

I’ve noticed differences between friends who do and don’t take HRT. On HRT they are more active/have more going on in their lives because they’ve got more energy and no aches or insomnia to deal with. They’ve got more time and inclination to pamper themselves because their symptoms are controlled so they look well.

I’d lost a lot of confidence by the time I realised I was peri; I’d convinced myself I had dementia! Estrogen quickly stopped the hot flushes, night sweats and joint pains but Testosterone gave me my brain back. Once the fog lifted the forgetfulness left and that helped in building the confidence back up.

Once I was getting half decent sleep the anxiety stopped which got me back working properly. That was hugely important for self esteem / mental health.

I run about 40K a week now, without HRT I’d struggle to run 40 metres. They say we’re as young as we feel, I felt heading to 90 fast pre-HRT.

I agree with you about testosterone.

Postmeno3

« Reply #20 on: January 16, 2022, 08:48:07 AM »

KarineT. No, no. The importance of testosterone has been vastly misrepresented, misunderstood and neglected or ignored. We produce three times more testosterone than oestrogen, so there's a lot more to lose at menopause. (Surgical removal of ovaries, of course, can be all the more devastating in terms of testosterone benefits which are many, including anxiety control.)
As the ovaries' failure to function increases, hormone production is increased in the adrenal glands instead. All these hormones complement each other in balance, so deficit in one may trigger reactions in others. There's been plenty on here about how much improvement to quality of life many women can feel on testosterone and how frustrated and symptomatic those are who can't get or are refused it. Louise Newson, for one, has podcasts and papers to hugely support access to testosterone and its benefits.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2022, 12:12:20 PM by Postmeno3 »

Wrensong

« Reply #21 on: January 16, 2022, 09:57:37 AM »

Hi Karine, as someone who's had both ovaries removed I can testify to the much-needed difference testosterone replacement can make.  But thinking about women with ovaries still intact postmenopause, there will presumably be individual differences in how our ovaries age, much as there are differences in other aspects of ageing?  One friend my age has recently had a knee replaced, another a hip, whereas I can cycle, run, row etc without any problems in knees or hips - perhaps because I'm slight putting my joints under lesser load than heavier women, perhaps because I'm on HRT, perhaps nothing to do with either - maybe just the lottery of genetic predisposition.  How do we know there are not similar differences in how much testosterone two women of the same age are producing (assuming they have not had levels tested), again maybe depending on genetics, other illnesses they may have suffered during their lifetime & so on?  Women whose testosterone levels are optimal for their individual needs may feel & function vastly better than those whose levels are suboptimal, though both may still be within the reference (normal) range. 

I think we need to be open to the possibility of differences in individual need for & response to all aspects of HRT.  Some lucky women seem to feel & continue to function well enough without HRT during their postmenopause years, some of us find our lives wrecked, unrecognisable & unmanageable as a result of hormone decline leading up to & beyond menopause.  If we can & choose to improve on that situation with HRT, much as we might gratefully accept a hip replacement or not say no to reading glasses at 45, it can be hugely empowering, enabling us to continue to live fulfilled, contented, productive lives, perhaps for decades longer than we otherwise would.
Wx

Winterose

« Reply #22 on: January 16, 2022, 11:47:31 AM »

I had posted on another thread discussing amounts of estrogen and when I upped mine my vision improved along with better sleep etc .

I have friends who aren’t on hrt and regard it with suspicion but they all have bad backs, hips, knees , heart problems , anxiety etc etc .

Stress plays a large part I think too , having a happy life must help but I I’ve luckily always had a happy life but was definitely suffering prior to hrt . Thyroid meds made a huge difference to aches and pains . I was lower end of normal but gp said she liked to supplement women at that level contrary to what most gps would do. It made a huge difference .
Pages: 1 [2]