Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Not a Forum member? You can still subscribe to our Free Newsletter

media

Author Topic: Hysterectomy due to 10cm fibroid  (Read 3126 times)

CarryWarry

Hysterectomy due to 10cm fibroid
« on: January 07, 2022, 08:23:23 AM »

Hello all.  Has anyone here had a hysterectomy due to heavy bleeding with fibroids? I have been told my hrt is causing it. I have tried lowering dose to no effect.  I am now so fed up a hysterectomy seems to be the best thing to do.  I would be very interested to hear which sort of hysterectomy you’ve had and how recuperation was.  Thanks ladies 😘

Lyncola

Re: Hysterectomy due to 10cm fibroid
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2022, 08:50:39 AM »

CarryWarry,
I had my hysterectomy at age 44, 3 years ago. For the same reason as you heavy bleeding, fibroids. My uterus weight three times it should, and something about my uterus being double the size? I’ve still got my ovaries but went into menopause 3 months later anyway?

My hysterectomy was a keyhole, for me the operation was low pain. I’ve had worse operations in the past. I came out of the operation late afternoon and was very groggy at first. By 8pm I was wide awake and in no pain but I was talking the pain medication they give me. By 1pm I had to pee as my catheter wasn’t working. The nurse was trying to find help for me, but I was like I feel fine and was happy to go to the toilet. I moved around no problem. The day after my operation, my husband picked me up and I did the long walk through the hospital to the car park no trouble. My six weeks recovery wasn’t to bad. I would have to get up slowly from my bed. The worst pain was the gas (the gas they use to blow up your stomach for the operation) leaving my body the pain goes up your body and exit though the shoulders, it gets very uncomfortable. The best thing you can do is drink peppermint tea for the gas pain. It’s amazing how much better you feel after the tea. The other pain you will get is body parts in your stomach moving around and settling back in to position.

I think for full 100% recovery they say 6 months, but by week 6 I was feeling pretty good. Just be prepared to rest and be kind to yourself.

I hope my experience helps you and I would do it all over again, it’s nice not having periods
 :) Lyncola

jaypo

« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2022, 09:01:06 AM »

Best thing I ever did was get a hysterectomy,like you and lyncola,fibroids caused heavy long bleeds along with huge blood clots,terrified to leave the house in case I'd an accident.My one was done vaginally,ovaries left,was up and out a day later,had to be careful for 6 weeks after,no driving etc but I was great,would do it again in the blink of an eye. Good luck and let us know what you decide
« Last Edit: January 07, 2022, 11:49:45 AM by jaypo »

CarryWarry

« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2022, 09:14:15 AM »

Thanks ladies- such positive feedback. 😘
I have clots now too. I’ve been suffering for years but everything just got worse, heavier bleeds. I’m 57 and it all kicked off when I was about 51.  I can’t live without hrt even though it exasperates the bleeding.  My womb is the size of a grapefruit rather than a small orange.  I think I need to bite the bullet once and for all.  I was referred 7 October and still not heard!! Going to go privately to try and speed things up x. thanks for your replies x

QueenofReds3

« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2022, 10:46:58 AM »

Hi Carrywarry

I have not had a hysterectomy but in the last two years have had 2 hysteroscopies and 2 colposcopy  ( excuse spelling) ,polyp and tiny fibroids removed. I am interested in who told you HRT caused this, as I heard that it could but when I questioned gynaecologist I was told that it would not cause bleeding or these problems, etc. Good luck in deciding what to do .x

CarryWarry

« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2022, 11:48:24 AM »

Hi Queen

I have had fibroids that I’ve known about for 15 years. They were quite big back then - 4cm and 5cm respectively but I never bled with them and they weren’t painful so I was fine. Nobody offered any advice on having them removed while smaller, so you are lucky yours have been treated. Yours sound under control.  Once hrt is taken fibroids may get larger as estrogen feeds them.  I was quite shocked to learn how much mine had grown in the space of 3 years after I’d been taking hrt. I actually wonder if my two have morphed into one that is now 10cm.  I was told that if I stopped HRT the bleeding would most likely stop.  I had no bleeding with fibroids for years… in the last two months the bleeding has become heavier. The bleeding started lightly about 7 years ago when I started hrt.
I had the mirena coil for 15 years and no  periods as a result which was fantastic. Then I hit menopause and went on hrt and the bleeding started intermittently.  I had the coil taken out for a few months and then replaced to test the bleeding but this made no difference in the end (we hoped the coil would stop the bleeding).
It sounds like you have very small fibroids which are being managed well 😊

jaypo

« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2022, 11:54:34 AM »

Once they grow,it becomes problematic,you can get them removed but I was told by the gynaecologist that they could just grow back and not being a fan of staying in hospital I decided on the hysterectomy.My period could last for 20 days at a time,the flooding was awful and then I became very anaemic,although I was scared to get it done,it really was a huge blessing,then of course came the ..........why did I not do this sooner  ;D

CarryWarry

« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2022, 09:15:30 PM »

Love the fact you say ‘why didn’t I do this sooner?’ Jaypo.  I’m sure this is me too, later this year 😘.  Thanks for your words x

Lyncola

« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2022, 08:43:53 AM »

God I forgot about my blood clots, it’s was horrible some months. A clot the size of a egg would come out off me. And I would pull my underwear down to sort myself out. And the clot fell on the floor, so I’m trying to clean my legs up, the floor, god what a bloody mess. It sucks being a woman  :-\

I do not miss my periods at all and don’t regret having my hysterectomy

jaypo

« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2022, 10:22:36 AM »

Oh lyncola wasn't it awful, I remember standing at the sink doing some dishes and suddenly whoosh,this clot and flooding,all down my jeans all over the floor,blimey,we're tough old birds aren't we  ::)

Lyncola

« Reply #10 on: January 09, 2022, 09:27:59 AM »

We certainly are jaypo  :)

CarryWarry

« Reply #11 on: January 10, 2022, 01:42:10 PM »

Gawwwd the stuff we have to go through!  I am fearful it’s getting worse and worse. Enough is enough.  Such a massive backlog of women waiting now since Covid.  :'(

jaypo

« Reply #12 on: January 10, 2022, 02:15:23 PM »

You go for it girl,ask about getting it done vaginally,it really was pain free,I was desperate for my tea and toast as soon as I woke up  ;D

Florrie2

« Reply #13 on: January 10, 2022, 10:58:42 PM »

I had mine 6 months ago - best decision ever. I’m 48. It was supposed to be vaginal but I ended up with a vertical abdominal incision due to the size of my uterus. I’d already got a scar there from removal of a fibroid 10 years ago.

I also had loads of endometriosis removed plus a couple of large fibroids. I feel like a new woman. I love walking and can now yomp around without worrying about all sorts of things and best of all - no abdominal pain. It did take me a while to heal though and was painful for the first 4 weeks - but I did have other stuff done. Patience is the word.

My worst bleed story was standing up in a room full of men, at a client, and realising I had flooded my trousers… the men never even noticed and also didn’t notice when I came back into the room an hour later wearing new trousers from the nearest supermarket!  :rofl: