Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please have a look at the questionnaire page if you have a spare minute.

media

Author Topic: “Ghost” period pains.  (Read 1663 times)

MrsCulchie

• First Flush
“Ghost” period pains.
« on: December 29, 2021, 03:03:04 PM »

My youngest of three was 20 this year. I haven’t had a proper period I all that time. Minor spotting at each exchange but nothing of note. I’ve had a Mirena coil fitted and it has worked for me like a dream.

To combat the sweats, mood swings etc, my doc pointed me to this site (after me deliberately staying OFF Google) and outlined a few options. I was to go away, have a good ‘auld hoke’ around the site and let her know how I’d like to handle it. Started off on Fluoxetine 25mg, and that greatly reduced sweats by around 60-70%. She was pleased as she expected up to 50% reduction.  Fast forward, have upped the meds to include amitryptaline to help me sleep more soundly. Have tried Sandrena gel but I NEVER remember to apply the gel. It’s not a big drama, I just have a v woolly brain atm.

Finally I arrive at my question. I’m having nagging ‘periody’ pains. Are there such a thing as phantom period pains, like phantom pregnancy?  Or am I just losing the plot even more? I still have the mirena fitted. And I’m hoping I’ll get another to see me through these new choppy waters we’re sailing. I’m 52 in Jan btw if that has any bearing.. Thanks for any wisdom in advance!

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: “Ghost” period pains.
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2021, 05:58:06 PM »

Yep.  Years++ after I stopped having periods I would get those familiar niggles and think "Oh NO! not after all this time".

:welcomemm:  some find that keeping a mood/food/symptom diary of use to chart progress.  Age can be a factor ........

sheila99

« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2021, 11:44:57 PM »

Perhaps you'd find a patch easier to remember? Change it once or twice a week depending on the make.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2021, 09:35:33 AM »

If you put the Sandrena gel by the bed, what's to forget ?

PeriWhat?!

« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2022, 11:30:18 AM »

I know what you mean, I like the gel but it can be easy to forget to use it because you have to plan it into your day. I use gel in the mornings after a bath/shower, you have to allow extra time to wait for it to dry before you can get dressed. An extra 5-15 minutes in the bathroom waiting for gel to dry might not sound like much, but it depends how busy your bathroom is in the mornings and how much time you have to get up and out the house! I guarantee as soon as I'm slathered in gel, everyone wants to use the bathroom.

I agree with @sheila99 that a patch might be easier - put alarms on your phone to remind you to change it on the same days every week - it would definitely save a lot of time. I'm considering this option myself, however I'll stick with gel for now as it seems effective.