Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 76 out now. (Summer issue, June 2024)

media

Author Topic: How to read hormone blood test results help i am so confused  (Read 1157 times)

Sfifties

How to read hormone blood test results help i am so confused
« on: December 30, 2021, 04:54:28 PM »

Hi ladies, could somebody with more expertise help me try to understand my hormones blood test results please?
i just got them but it will be a while before i can speak to my Gp as no appointments available and i really would like to understand a bit more about everything.

This is what i got:
Serum LH level 6 U/L
Serum FHS level 18.8 U/L

Serum Testosterone <0.5 nmol/L        0.30-1.70nmol/L
Serum oestradiol level - there is no value there just say no action needed .

i have tried to google and search but really do not understand how to read and get an idea of what’s low ,high etc.
Any help would be very appreciated.
thanks

Gilla999

Re: How to read hormone blood test results help i am so confused
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2021, 08:40:03 AM »

Are you still ovulating? If so that would impact things a lot as it would depend when in your cycle the test was carried out. Here are the ranges from Medichecks - each Lab will differ with their ranges but it will give you an idea:

LH (IU/L):
Follicular 2.4-12.6
Ovulation 14.0-95.6
Luteal 1.0-11.4
Postmenopause 7.7-58.5

FSH (IU/L):
Follicular 3.5-12.5
Ovulation 4.7-21.5
Luteal 1.7-7.7
Postmenopause 25.8-134.8

Estrogen (pmol/L):
Follicular 45.4 - 854
Ovulation 151 - 1461
Luteal 82 - 1251
Postmenopause <100

Testosterone (nmol/L):
0.29 - 1.67

Sfifties

Re: How to read hormone blood test results help i am so confused
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2021, 09:15:07 AM »

Thank you for your reply Gilla999,
i should have included that info on post ,apologies .
I am just feeling a bit lost at the moment with this change in my life .

I am 49 not had a period for just over a year now ,so GP prescribed conti regime of oestrogel 2 pumps and utrogestan and i have been on this for 9 weeks.
I had had a blood test in February 21 and was told by another Gp that i was peri menopausal and as at the time i had no flushes and sweats no treatment was offered.

that blood test ( wasn’t an hormonal one ) had at the bottom this values :
Serum LH level  35.6 U/L
Serum FHS level 76.8  U/L

When i spoke to the Gp who prescribed hrt because of the starting of the flushes ,she said that she had looked at the feb 21 blood test results and although the results were taken more than 6 months earlier she said that i was not peri menopausal but according to those levels i had already gone through the menopause and given that i had not had a period for almost a year that’s how i started on conti.

This  latest blood test was requested by Gp as i asked if i needed testosterone as the good but only benefits i have had so far from hrt are the stopping of palpitation flushes and constant night sweats but i have very low moods ,aches and pain ,lack of energy and no libido at all which is putting a strain on my marriage .
I just feel i have aged 10 years in the last 12 months .

i thank you for the chart below ,i had found one online too but according to my results
my current LH serum level of 6 puts me in in the follicular range ?
How is that possible ?
And my Fhs level of 18.8 in ovulation ….
The testosterone result it’ a range so i don’t even understand that .

I am soooo confused this is so complicated .
i hope what i have written above make any sense to you ( english is not my mother tongue so at times my sentences formulation can be wrong) and if you have any more comment to add ,i would welcome any help.

i have requested a call from the Gp who prescribed hrt to discuss results ,that will take a few weeks but very aware that when she has called in the past she is on a very tight schedule and not sure she will be able to explain to me in simple way these reading as i guess for somebody with a medical degree this stuff is easy and i am being really thick …

Take care