Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please have a look at the questionnaire page if you have a spare minute.

media

Author Topic: Migraines & HRT  (Read 1398 times)

pinkmarshmallow

Migraines & HRT
« on: December 29, 2021, 08:09:12 PM »

Hi
Just wondering, has anyone been told that HRT in tablet form isn’t good for migraine sufferers?  It apparently can increase the number of migraines.  If anyone is a migraine sufferer and taking HRT tablets and it hasn't increased your migraines, I’d be really interested to know which ones.  I had taken Novofem tablets (which completely stopped my hot flushes from day 1 but gradually added a migraine or 2 each month, therefore the dr advised to go onto estrogen gel and progesterone but I’m struggling still with getting the right amount of estrogen gel, as suffering with hot flushes and anxiety surges plus it’s a bit of a faff in the mornings!).   Thanks for any replies

NikNik

• First Flush
Re: Migraines & HRT
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2021, 09:08:36 PM »

Hi PinkMarshmallow  :)

My migraines STOPPED literally ovenight with Estrogel & Utrogestan!!! Years of migraines & triptans several times a week - since I started HRT only felt the start of a migraine twice in 9 months!

I'm on 2-3 pumps Estrogel & just been upped from 100mg to 200mg Utrogesan orally (to stop bleeding). The slight downside is a morning after headache but nothing like a migraine - and no sickness which I always got!

It's certainly not easy to get the right dose, I do sometimes add a half pump extra at night to help with sweats.

Hope you get there x

Wrensong

« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2021, 10:14:28 AM »

Hi pinkmarshmallow, that's right, oral oestrogen is not recommended for women with a history of migraine.  Transdermal methods are considered less likely to cause problems.  So gel, patch & spray (Lenzetto) are options we can try.  If you are finding the gel a faff maybe ask to try a patch - these are changed once or twice a week depending on brand.
Wx

Mary G

« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2021, 07:48:12 PM »

Transdermal HRT is recommended for women with migraine but dosage depends on the type of migraines you have ie with or without aura.

Usually migraine with aura is caused by oestrogen spikes but migraine without aura is usually caused by progesterone withdrawal.   Either way, it's best to aim for a constant, stable form of HRT and to avoid a cyclical regime.

pinkmarshmallow

« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2022, 09:09:17 PM »

Thanks for your replies.  That’s helped me with my decision.  When eventually I can get hold of my doctor, I’ll ask to be given a higher dosage of Sandrena gel (3mg) and not go back to Novofem.   Suffering still with all morning anxiety and hot flushes 🙄