Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please have a look at the questionnaire page if you have a spare minute.

media

Author Topic: National Robin Day  (Read 1591 times)

Postmeno3

National Robin Day
« on: December 21, 2021, 08:41:35 AM »

Today is National Robin Day. I love robins and one comes to my window feeder every day, in no hurry to disappear. He gladdens my heart. There's also the saying that when a robin is here, a loved one is near. This, too, is comforting as my dear Dad had a robin on his hospital windowsill as he was slipping away and, again, one in the tree over his grave at the funeral. National Robin Day! Yay! ❤

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: National Robin Day
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2021, 09:37:17 AM »

Thanks for sharing.

I have a robin who sits outside the kitchen window when he/she wants feeding.  He sings first.  Bobs his head.  Then leans forward to stare if I'm not quick enough  ;D

Wrensong

« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2021, 10:44:45 AM »

They are entertaining, charming thugs!  Very territorial in our garden, forever chasing other birds off their land.  One comes to supervise my gardening activities, often vocal about my shortcomings.  Then, no sooner have I finished & come inside, than Head Gardener blackbird comes along & corrects my designs ::).  Pulls out seedlings with a fury, flings compost out of pots all over the patio   :o.  Apparently I have much to learn.  Not only that, but he gets to the strawberries every year before I do.  Not my garden at all, it would seem  :)

Two hoots

« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2021, 11:03:19 AM »

They are entertaining, charming thugs!  Very territorial in our garden, forever chasing other birds off their land.  One comes to supervise my gardening activities, often vocal about my shortcomings.  Then, no sooner have I finished & come inside, than Head Gardener blackbird comes along & corrects my designs ::).  Pulls out seedlings with a fury, flings compost out of pots all over the patio   :o.  Apparently I have much to learn.  Not only that, but he gets to the strawberries every year before I do.  Not my garden at all, it would seem  :)

;D

Blackbird gets my blueberries and strawberries, but I dont mind, how dull would the garden be without these little characters  :)

Pennyfarthing

« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2021, 02:47:55 PM »

I bought a lovely little perspex robin to put on my parents grave. It says “a robin appears when a loved one is near.”  Every time I see a robin I think of them. They both loved birds ….. Dad when he was gardening and they came and sat on his spade and Mum when she was feeding them treats outside.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2021, 03:02:04 PM »

Grandad had a spade robin  8)

C.C.

« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2021, 04:02:38 PM »

We don't get many robins here during winter, most leave and come back in the spring.  Cardinals stick around as do juncos, blue jays and crows.

Here, the cardinal represents a lost loved one.  When the robins appear, we know spring is on the way. Always love to hear the first robin song of the season.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2021, 04:27:05 PM by C.C. »