Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please have a look at the questionnaire page if you have a spare minute.

media

Author Topic: Bleeding with vagirux  (Read 7244 times)

Jules

Bleeding with vagirux
« on: December 20, 2021, 11:04:46 AM »

I had one course of vagifem then had a short break then started another course of vagirux (apparently the new first line prescription  brand). Towards the end of that course I have had a couple of small bleeds. Had an examination from the doctor.  Everything fine. Referred for ultrasound.  Has anyone else experienced this? I've had to stop which I'm disappointed about because it was helping

Joaniepat

Re: Bleeding with vagirux
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2021, 12:50:06 PM »

Vagifem and Vagirux don't come as a course, but are intended to be used forever at whatever maintenance dose suits you. Symptoms will return if you stop using it. Local oestrogen is such a low dose, and is generally not absorbed systemically, so it seems unlikely that it would be implicated in unexpected bleeding. Good that you're getting checked out though.
JP x

Jules

« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2021, 02:29:02 PM »

Vagifem and Vagirux don't come as a course, but are intended to be used forever at whatever maintenance dose suits you. Symptoms will return if you stop using it. Local oestrogen is such a low dose, and is generally not absorbed systemically, so it seems unlikely that it would be implicated in unexpected bleeding. Good that you're getting checked out though.
JP x
JP x

My GP only prescribes in courses eg a box then I have to take a break. She says in some women, vaginal estrogen can cause bleeding. I did see another doctor who said the same and I've read on the brand information that it's a side effect.

jaypo

« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2021, 02:48:46 PM »

Oh nooo,my vagifem has just been changed to vagirux,was put on it for vaginal bleeding too  :(

Postmeno3

« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2021, 03:06:26 PM »

I wonder if it depends on the level of dryness? These seem strange trains of thought from gps as, if needed, they're needed continuously and for life. Otherwise symptoms just return. Perhaps that's what's "covered" with the leaflet. They're definitely never used as "courses". Vagirux loaders are coarser than Vagifem. Try to hold out for Vagifem and try coating the loader in YES VM or even request a cream like Ovestin to help. Good luck.

Whatsupwiththis

« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2021, 06:39:21 PM »

Vagifem is for life as often as needed to feel comfortable.  Could it be the change in your script?  As others have mentioned, perhaps check Ovestin.  It is a cream and may suit you better.  Good luck.  It is a difficult journey.

Jules

« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2021, 08:20:29 PM »

"Course" is only my term not the GP and most things I've read suggest breaks inbetween.  The vagirux I read is now the first line recommended prescription brand, I think it's cheaper but basically the same stuff though can't swear on that. I'm speaking to the doc this week so will update you if I learn anything more. Just slightly worrying when you see a bit of blood then Google!!

Jules

« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2021, 08:23:43 PM »

I wonder if it depends on the level of dryness? These seem strange trains of thought from gps as, if needed, they're needed continuously and for life. Otherwise symptoms just return. Perhaps that's what's "covered" with the leaflet. They're definitely never used as "courses". Vagirux loaders are coarser than Vagifem. Try to hold out for Vagifem and try coating the loader in YES VM or even request a cream like Ovestin to help. Good luck.

vagirux preferred brand of estradiol vagina tablets
« Last Edit: December 21, 2021, 11:34:54 AM by Emma »

Taz2

« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2021, 08:38:29 AM »

Hi Jules. Could you post the link where it's mentioned that we need to take breaks from Vagifem/Vagirux please. As others have said it is to be used forever and continuously on whichever regime gives relief. I've never been advised to take a break and have been using it (along with full HRT) for the past 13 years. It's easy to miss changes in advice on usage.

Thanks for the Vagirux link.

Taz x  :)

jaypo

« Reply #9 on: December 21, 2021, 09:48:44 AM »

My surgery texted me and said it was the same only cheaper but not sure exactly what the mean by "the same" I've never been told to take a break from it either,so that's concerning,my Dr basically gives me a free rein with it dosage wise.

Jules

« Reply #10 on: December 21, 2021, 01:36:25 PM »

Hi Jules. Could you post the link where it's mentioned that we need to take breaks from Vagifem/Vagirux please. As others have said it is to be used forever and continuously on whichever regime gives relief. I've never been advised to take a break and have been using it (along with full HRT) for the past 13 years. It's easy to miss changes in advice on usage.

I'll have a look, can't remember where it was written

Jules

« Reply #11 on: December 21, 2021, 05:05:30 PM »

Hi sorry but can't find it. The vagifem info does say that if your symptoms improve your health care practitioner might ask you to take a break. I suppose it depends on your symptoms. My GP says she has patients who have breaks. I have to say at present I'm reluctant to start again especially after the bleed albeit small and irregular.

Postmeno3

« Reply #12 on: December 21, 2021, 05:57:20 PM »

Have you thought of e-mailing Dr. Currie from this site so that you have a neutral, but highly knowledgeable opinion? You might feel more reassured that way about what's happening. You just tap on CONTACT at the very top of the page in black and send a small fee for some really great, professional recommendations. Good luck with it all anyway!

Jules

« Reply #13 on: December 22, 2021, 03:33:59 PM »

Have you thought of e-mailing Dr. Currie from this site so that you have a neutral, but highly knowledgeable opinion? You might feel more reassured that way about what's happening. You just tap on CONTACT at the very top of the page in black and send a small fee for some really great, professional recommendations. Good luck with it all anyway!

Ok thanks