Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Not a Forum member? You can still subscribe to our Free Newsletter

media

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: propranolol long acting for early morning palpitations/anxiety  (Read 2483 times)

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: propranolol long acting for early morning palpitations/anxiety
« Reply #15 on: December 20, 2021, 09:51:46 AM »

R U saying Nas that C&W want you to have a scan but are expecting your GP to arrange it  :-\.  That to me is cackhanded.  If you are under the care of a hospital, it is they who arrange scans, X-rays etc.. 

Nas

« Reply #16 on: December 20, 2021, 10:01:44 AM »

Yes I know CLKD.
The issue is that i live in Cheshire and Chelsea is obviously in London, else I would have a scan there.

I’ve just had a referral through for Liverpool, which is obviously closer, so things should be a bit easier going forward.

vintagefiend

« Reply #17 on: December 20, 2021, 10:41:27 AM »

hi nas,
sorry you've had a bad night too.
i hope that the propranolol gives you some respite.
i've managed to get some prescribed and have just taken 5mg- which sounds small but i can always increase.
i don't feel anxious right now- just underslept- but i want my body/brain to get used to the beta-blocker- i'll take another 5mg tonight.
sorry if you've said already but are you taking propranolol regularly? have you tried taking at night to get rid of thumping chest?
do you have the pounding chest through the day, too?
xx

Wrensong

« Reply #18 on: December 20, 2021, 10:47:43 AM »

Vintagefiend, afraid I can't compare notes re SHBG as, to my knowledge, mine's never been measured, but certainly sounds as though that unfortunately complicates your situation.  What a maze this menopause malarky can be for some of us.  You'll know what you're doing I'm sure with your exercise & diet regime, but please be vigilant for signs of low blood sugar so that doesn't become a factor in the poor sleep/early waking scenario.  Another thing I discovered quite early on the very long, pot-hole strewn menopause road  ::) was that counter-intuitively the more I exercised, the worse my sleep  :o.  I think the physical stress of over-exercising, as with any sort of emotional/psychological stress, now has adverse effects, perhaps just too much for the adrenals, which worsens sleep, though I never did it late in the day.  I do still exercise most days but can't do it to exhaustion.  You may be quite different of course & I'm guessing younger than me too!

You mentioned probs with Oestrogel, so I'm wondering whether you've tried patches to see whether you get more stability that way.

Anyway, I hope you manage to get a GP appt to see about a Propranolol trial.  As Nas says you're definitely not alone with it, so do let us know how you are/come along & vent etc if it might help at all.  I do think there's some comfort in feeling less alone with all this & the lovely women here are brilliant at hand-holding & encouragement.

Oh Nas, what a bummer re the bleeds if you felt otherwise well on the HRT  :'(.  I did wonder about an ablation, but no personal experience of that so didn't suggest it.  I know some women have posted about it on here so if you haven't done a search maybe that might be worth looking into, especially if your docs think it could be the solution? 

Was it conti Utro or are you still in peri?  I can't use it as side effects are way too strong for me, so I can't offer advice on the bleeding, other than as you suggest maybe try one of the stronger progestogens (or pursue the ablation route).  I find both Norethisterone (tabs) & MPA seem powerful & give me a good bleed, like clockwork, without any breakthrough, but I'm pretty prog intolerant so can't sing their praises on the side effects & there's also the issue you'll be aware of, re Utro being generally considered the better option re breast health.  I did have persistent unscheduled bleeding & spotting on Evorel Conti a few years ago, but got poor absorption from that & my lining was found to be atrophied on hysteroscopy.  Have ChelWest not been able to explain it?  So sorry Nas - it can feel like an endurance feat & that's so demoralising.  I agree though, that there must be a way around it & I'm sure there's improvement for us all out there with the right help, experimentation & a lot of lateral thinking.
Wx

P.S. I see as I'm about to post this you've got some Propranolol prescribed VF!  Blimey, you don't hang about :)!  Well done you - everything crossed for you.  I'll be watching this space & you'll both be in my thoughts in the small hours.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2021, 11:08:21 AM by Wrensong »

Nas

« Reply #19 on: December 20, 2021, 11:00:34 AM »

That’s good that you have been prescribed the propranolol. It may just keep that thudding chest at bay. It will be interesting to see if it does help with the early morning surges. I do hope so.

I’m currently formulating a new plan to tackle the ‘horror pause’ which involves 40mg propranolol three times daily ( including night time ) I will be back on the Amitriptyline tonight in an attempt to get some sleep. Ashwangandha can also be good for racing heart etc ( be careful if you have a thyroid problem though I think )

I get the thudding chest if I’m stressed. Since menopause I’ve developed awful driving anxiety, particularly fast bendy roads. The Hrt helped with that a bit, but now I’m off, I expect the anxiety will be off the scale, hence the propranolol three times a day!

Also feeling very underslept!

Xx

Nas

« Reply #20 on: December 20, 2021, 11:12:07 AM »

I was also thinking patches may suit better for Vintage, Wren, at least a consistent flow of oestrogen is delivered. Very much trial, error and a bucket load of patience involved!!

ChelWest mentioned an atrophied many months ago Wren, but hysteroscopy did not evidence this. Plus oestrogen levels were good on the patch.

An ablation is a possibility according to local gynae. Assuming I don’t bleed whilst OFF HRT, I will try to stick it out until they offer me a scan appointment, then we can discuss womb ablation and maybe start again ( depending on symptoms)

Best of luck with the propranolol Vintage, I think it’s one of the drugs with the least side effects too.

Xx

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #21 on: December 20, 2021, 01:04:11 PM »

How are you being prescribed Propranolol - mine was capsules.  Difficult to cut  ::)

I never had anything less than 20mg.  The drug helped me enormously.
Pages: 1 [2]