Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 76 out now. (Summer issue, June 2024)

media

Author Topic: Throat sensation 🙄  (Read 1674 times)

Nik

Throat sensation 🙄
« on: December 12, 2021, 06:28:10 PM »

Hi all

Can anyone help with this - I am on hrt - for about 2 years now ( I think even that I’ve forgot ) I’m still having a monthly bleed although very light - I’m 53 - anyway lately my mood swings have gone from A to Z fast and furious -
Sleep patterns disturbed and I am experiencing this weird tightening of the lower throat every day - I ty to ignore it but of course have googled the hell
Out of it - juts wondered if anyone else has felt this sensation on top of the myriad of other new issues

Thankyou x Nik

Petal

• First Flush
Re: Throat sensation 🙄
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2021, 06:54:32 PM »

Hi Nik , I experience the tightness in my throat , usually at night ( along with palpitations) I’ve had this for many years although I do suffer with ME so for me it’s linked to that but I can sympathise with you because it’s not a great feeling, along with the many other symptoms of peri-menopause .I try to drink lots of fluid & relax as much as possible. Hopefully it will eventually ease for you. But just wanted you to know you are not alone.

Nik

« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2021, 07:10:31 PM »

Petal Thankyou ! Yes I’m going to up my water Intake - yes Thankyou for your reply sometimes it feels so isolating each new symptom makes one feel cray cray as they say
X much love and Thankyou

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2021, 08:44:20 PM »

Reflux?  Do you have allergic rhinitis?  Do you sleep with your mouth open?  As oestrogen levels drop off muscles may become lax which includes neck, throat, Eustachian tubes ......

A few days ago I found it difficult to swallow for reasons unknown. 

ElkWarning

« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2021, 09:30:32 PM »

I had this for a long time, often when I was in bed and trying to get to sleep. I don't know what it was. I've been in therapy for two and a half years and it doesn't happen any more. I think it might have been stress and anxiety. Made me feel as if I was being strangled and couldn't swallow properly. I'm not on hrt, also 53.

Gnatty

« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2021, 09:36:24 PM »

I agree, I think it's anxiety related. It was my first symptom when I think back.

Nik

« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2021, 11:21:27 PM »

Thankyou everyone - I am doing yoga and yes I’m going to err on the side of raised anxiety as it does like you say feel
Like strangling which I believe is actually what the anxiety in Latin is described as so going to hang it on the hook and try not to worry which will only serve to exasperate the sensation -
Blimey this menopause can be awful at times but onwards we go Thankyou for listening xx love 💕 to all

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2021, 10:11:44 AM »

I have had to throw my roll-neck jumpers as they press on the nerve/gag reflex so I can't wear them any more  :'(

Gracie

« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2021, 11:03:41 AM »

Just to say that age related throat problems are a real problem for me. This time of year I like to burn candles but now they cause havoc with my sinuses.
Sore, itchy throat, constant runny nose and snoring badly, it all effects my eyes too.

Once you know what gives you a flare up then you can stop what's causing it, no more burning candles for me indoors!

Jasmine20

« Reply #9 on: December 13, 2021, 11:54:08 AM »

I would go to your GP and consider whether this is thyroid related.

I've recently discovered I'm very estrogen dominant on HRT and this has knocked my thyroid. One of the earliest signs was odd sensations in my throat.