Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 14

Author Topic: Covid confusion  (Read 21905 times)

Katejo

Re: Covid confusion
« Reply #15 on: December 12, 2021, 09:27:20 PM »

:thankyou: how long does it take for PCR test results to be returned?

i suspect it depends a bit on whether someone has the test at the weekend or during  the week. I was told 'usually within 24 hours but can be up to 72 hours. My 1st one took from Friday at 10.30 until  Saturday evening. I did a 2nd today so hopefully will get it back tomorrow. I am hoping to be able to go to my evening dance class (if negative).

Pennyfarthing

« Reply #16 on: December 12, 2021, 09:32:42 PM »

Not on my TV he won't be  >:(.  It's scaremongering.  Keeping the public under the thumb.  What has the government done to avoid the NHS becoming even more overwhelmed in the last 2 years? 

Wards are still closing due to a lack of staff.  Nightingale hospitals were never going to be manned, due to not having enough staff to cover the beds required by patients.  The care industry is in dire straights with regarding staffing levels.

We never get told that "5,000 people may be admitted daily to hospital due to icy and snowy weather" ..........

I wonder whether the PM will actually tell us why these patients have been admitted, i.e. underlying health conditions, because they live alone so need full time care, because they can't see a GP face2face ............. too many people putting too many 'opinions' towards the government which has confused me from day 1  :-\.

You sound just like my son. 😉

JeanGenie

« Reply #17 on: December 13, 2021, 01:55:46 AM »

I live in Northern Ireland and our sh*tshow of a government isn't much better! Our health service in on its knees and according to data we have the highest infection rate in the UK. Politics here has always been an *us and them* scenario and the pandemic has proven to be no different! What happened to " we're all in this together" ? Makes my blood boil.
I'm vaccinated...had my booster last week and do the hand sanitizing, mask wearing but must admit to getting increasingly nervous about being in supermarkets etc. Up until about five weeks ago the only people I personally knew who had contacted Covid were my brother and his wife who live in Madrid. This was before the vaccine and they were very poorly. Yet, his 95 years old mother-in-law contracted it and made a quick recovery. My son had it five weeks ago and his symptoms were very mild....slight cough, headache and fatigue which lasted 3 days....he had no high temperature and no loss of taste or smell. He lives at home yet neither me or my other two sons were infected. My ex husbands sister has just come off a ventilator ....she's mid fifties but was advised not to have the vaccine because of her health conditions .....his other sisters husband died today...he was fully vaccinated but was 82. I think that's what makes it so scary....you don't know how it will affect you until it does!

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #18 on: December 13, 2021, 10:09:15 AM »

I wonder what tricks Boris came up with last night ........ will he be front page news .  Again?

I was dreaming about masks last night  ::)

littleminnie

« Reply #19 on: December 15, 2021, 06:10:15 PM »

I’m hearing of more people I know catching covid.  I think we will all get it eventually.

Pennyfarthing

« Reply #20 on: December 15, 2021, 07:17:04 PM »

I’m hearing of more people I know catching covid.  I think we will all get it eventually.

But some are saying it’s no worse than a bad cold.🤔.  two adult nieces and their partners have it plus 2 of the 4 kids and they are all feeling OK. 

Taz2

« Reply #21 on: December 15, 2021, 08:26:09 PM »

It's scary how people react differently. We've had friends who have been hardly affected although over 65 and two others who ended up in hospital who were 10 years younger. Fit with no health issues. Another friend in his forties has had covid three times now (positive today) and his booster was only last week so not fully effective yet. He works in a college. No symptoms.  A friend from the pub did a lateral flow before he went to a gig last week and tested positive. He didn't develop any symptoms and he's 75.  One of my partner's work colleagues has just tested positive so that's 7 days of lateral flow testing for my partner now. We've stayed out of the pub too to try to avoid it. Sods law!

Taz x  :-\

CLKD

« Reply #22 on: December 15, 2021, 08:36:16 PM »

How many of those had been jabbed Taz?  The government is trying to scare people.  Again.  Too many 'experts' trying to put their views out the loudest.

How much treatment did the two need who were admitted?  Those are issues that we aren't told; if it's treatment on a Ward or whether ICU etc..

As for passports: we have Driving Licences, we have holiday Passports - why not Health Passports, real books with our jabs. in?  We were all given a paper record of our jabs as babies ........ that could have been continued so that if in an accident, medics would know when we last had a tetanus for example.   

After all, mainland Europe carry a lot more paperwork than we ever have done in case they are stopped. 

I'm beyond confused  :-\

Aprilflower

« Reply #23 on: December 15, 2021, 09:27:54 PM »

It's scary how people react differently. We've had friends who have been hardly affected although over 65 and two others who ended up in hospital who were 10 years younger. Fit with no health issues. Another friend in his forties has had covid three times now (positive today) and his booster was only last week so not fully effective yet. He works in a college. No symptoms.  A friend from the pub did a lateral flow before he went to a gig last week and tested positive. He didn't develop any symptoms and he's 75.  One of my partner's work colleagues has just tested positive so that's 7 days of lateral flow testing for my partner now. We've stayed out of the pub too to try to avoid it. Sods law!

Taz x  :-\

You're got to wonder how accurate the tests are.

Taz2

« Reply #24 on: December 16, 2021, 12:36:13 AM »

In what way Aprilflower? Do you mean the accuracy of the LFT or the follow-up PCR?

Aprilflower

« Reply #25 on: December 16, 2021, 05:47:40 AM »

More so the LFT, but PCRs work by detecting dead virus cells, not live virus.  Still a lot of debate about those as well.  Some people have been known to have a positive PCR weeks after infection.

CLKD

« Reply #26 on: December 16, 2021, 08:07:41 AM »

That stands to reason if the virus is still active.  That's when anti-body testing should be done but is far too expensive.

LFTs work if the person does them correctly.  Otherwise they are as good as useless.  My sister works in health care and tests all her workers every 3 days, she sends the PCRs to the NHS because Labs are expensive and not always accurately.

Kathleen

« Reply #27 on: December 16, 2021, 09:41:03 AM »

Hello ladies.

We were told a while ago that the LFT was more accurate than we believed at first. I remember being told this because I thought it was a bit of good news!

My son recently tested positive and was only mildly ill for a few days. He is twenty nine, lives in London and most of his friends have had COVID with mild symptoms and made  a full recovery. My son didn't have a PCR test but did lots of  LFTs, usually several a day.

Wishing everyone well.

K.

littleminnie

« Reply #28 on: December 16, 2021, 12:56:56 PM »

But some are saying it’s no worse than a bad cold.🤔.  two adult nieces and their partners have it plus 2 of the 4 kids and they are all feeling OK.

That’s the scary thing, you have no idea how you body will deal with it.

Aprilflower

« Reply #29 on: December 16, 2021, 02:51:19 PM »

Hello ladies.

We were told a while ago that the LFT was more accurate than we believed at first. I remember being told this because I thought it was a bit of good news!

My son recently tested positive and was only mildly ill for a few days. He is twenty nine, lives in London and most of his friends have had COVID with mild symptoms and made  a full recovery. My son didn't have a PCR test but did lots of  LFTs, usually several a day.

Wishing everyone well.

K.

https://twitter.com/drphilhammond/status/1471492494407860232?t=noiNdedNcaDD9VMbqbcxmA&s=19
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 14