Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 76 out now. (Summer issue, June 2024)

media

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Thrush first time in ages  (Read 3824 times)

Postmeno3

Re: Thrush first time in ages
« Reply #15 on: December 08, 2021, 05:48:52 PM »

I've been refused oral treatment in three different pharmacies. The third one awkwardly asking how old I was as they shuffled about. The other two, a flat no. It's interesting!!!!! Implication? Get the crochet out? 🤔

suzysunday

« Reply #16 on: December 08, 2021, 05:51:10 PM »

What a flaming cheek!   I would fib if they asked me. 

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #17 on: December 08, 2021, 06:21:18 PM »

'fetch the manager' ?  Are we supposed to share our personal places?  I suppose now that we can quote "We must wear a mask and keep our distance, Boris says so." ?

Jellyb

« Reply #18 on: December 08, 2021, 07:06:27 PM »

Get the generic fluconazole capsule from the pharmacy. Don't pay the over inflated price for ths Diflucan One capsule.
Learnt that tip many years ago when I used to get it regularly.

Postmeno3

« Reply #19 on: December 08, 2021, 07:19:23 PM »

You can also get oral medication online via respected pharmacies. After my in person  experience, I immediately came home and ordered three treatments which have never been used, but it's very reassuring to know I have immediate access if needs be. I'm wondering, though, if it's a Scottish restriction only (over the counter), if folks can access oral remedy elsewhere? 🤔

suzysunday

« Reply #20 on: December 08, 2021, 08:42:58 PM »

Yes it's very reassuring to know you have something on hand. Thanks for all the great advice x

Evangelista

« Reply #21 on: December 10, 2021, 09:58:24 AM »

I would definitely second the vote for buying online, and it's cheaper too.
Never ever just go for Canestan as it is way more expensive than the generic equivalent.
And I guess that using the fluconazole tablet is less likely to irritate your bits than using cream directly.  It obviously doesn't target the area, so as CLKD says, eat lots of decent live yogurt too.
Oh, and if you do get age-checked at the chemist, just tell them yes, I am that old, and I think my thrush is due to the rampant sex that I obstinately continue to have, so there!!

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #22 on: December 10, 2021, 10:19:25 AM »

:lol:   No one is allowed to ask anyone their age.  Had DH done so in work his company would have sacked him.  He wasn't allowed to ask if a woman intended to become pregnant whilst in service nor how many children she already had.

suzysunday

« Reply #23 on: December 10, 2021, 11:04:27 AM »

I bought the canesten because I wanted something straight away and didn't have a bad reaction.  Still feel a bit tender there so though no discharge.  I'll look online to buy for future emergency and hope to not need it!

suzysunday

« Reply #24 on: December 11, 2021, 09:03:24 PM »

I used the canesten pessary (500mg) on Wednesday night and feel better regarding soreness but I am still having a very slight white discharge.  It seems too long for it to be the pessary, but I used my ovestin on Friday night so don't know what it is.  It says up to 7 days for the canesten to work and I have the tube of cream, but can it take this long for the thrush to go if I used the pessary Wednesday night, is it still having an effect? 

Evangelista

« Reply #25 on: December 11, 2021, 09:25:09 PM »

I have used the Canestan pessaries before and found they can take a number of days to fully disperse, as it were.
With thrush it can be really hard to feel you've cleared up the infection,  but I would hope that the pessary has done its job.
If you're finding that the cream is irritating then don't use it and just hang in there for a few more days.
In my experience it always seems to take longer than you'd like to feel properly clear. Might help to sit on the side of the bath (feet in it!) and just let the shower head run over your bits with lukewarm water as that will help any bits of the pessary clear away. If they have reached the outside they won't have any further effect in treating the infection, and that might help you work out what's what.

suzysunday

« Reply #26 on: December 11, 2021, 09:32:15 PM »

Thanks.  I am reluctant to leave the ovestin too long because of the atrophy.  Yes, from past experience thrush is a persistent devil, insidious. 
Pages: 1 [2]