Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Author Topic: Oestrogel and Utrogestan Timing  (Read 1706 times)

Floodlights

Oestrogel and Utrogestan Timing
« on: December 03, 2021, 02:26:55 PM »

Hello

I have just seen on the Patient Information Leaflet that Utrogestan should be taken at the same time as Oestrogel! I have been separating the two because I thought the opposite advice was true. This may be why utrogestan gives me terrible insomnia. Taking them both at the same time at night may solve this.

Just curious to know if I am the only one who thought they should be taken at different times?

Thanks

Emma

Hopeful

Re: Oestrogel and Utrogestan Timing
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2021, 02:58:12 PM »

I have just started this regime and like you I am taking them at different times

Kathleen

« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2021, 04:41:23 PM »

Hello Floodlights.

I also use my gel and testosterone in the mornings but take my Utrogestan at night.
That's not the only thing I do wrong because  my stomach is not  empty when I take the capsule  (I always have a late supper and certainly couldn't refrain from eating a whole two hours before going to bed as I simply wouldn't sleep).

My doctor at Newson Health knows what I am doing and thinks that even if I am absorbing more progesterone this way it shouldn't be a problem. I continue to experience low mood and anxiety however so perhaps my regime is not really helping me and I am getting too much progesterone.

In the past I split the dose of Oestrogel by using two pumps in the morning and two at night. I would need to check my diaries but I don't think that system was any better than my current one.

I am sorry that I can't be more helpful but I suspect that many women use these products in different ways. 

Take care.

K.

Dotty

« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2021, 05:27:51 PM »

Hi when it says take at the same time, it means that you need to take Utrogestan with Oestrogel.  You are right that you should use them at separate times of the day….Oestrogel in morning and Utrogestan at night, but you can use them at the same time of it suits you. X

Joaniepat

« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2021, 05:39:16 PM »

I think the advice to take Utrogestan at night is only because it can cause drowsiness - although I note that Floodlights has the opposite problem.
JP x

VictoryV

« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2021, 09:31:27 PM »

Hi, I’ve not read the patient leaflets.
I used to take the gel in the morning and the Utrogestan in bed. I thought taking the gel at night would stop me sleeping. It doesn’t. I’m better on wake up now. I wondered if it’s because previously i would’ve been waking up on low estrogen as dosing was due? I put the gel on between 6 and 9pm now.
A couple of nights ago I took the utro earlier and after 90 mins I felt drowsy and slept well so I’ve continued doing this.

I prefer my routine now.

Victoria☀️

sheila99

« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2021, 10:30:36 AM »

Are you sure it's the utro causing the insomnia? I only ask because for most people insomnia is due to oestrogen deficiency. Are you taking it every night or 12 days per cycle? If the timing makes no difference (you could try taking it in the morning) I would try a few days without it. If the insomnia goes it might be better to change to a different type such as provera or a mirena. If you're late peri or meno you could consider a 6 week cycle to give you more time without it.