Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 76 out now. (Summer issue, June 2024)

media

Author Topic: Asthma and the Menopause  (Read 2103 times)

Dorothy

Asthma and the Menopause
« on: December 03, 2021, 10:56:54 PM »

I've been suffering from intermittent breathing difficulties for the past two years, since getting a severe chest infection just before Covid.  I was brushed off several times by my GP with 'it takes time to recover', but after two years, I felt I'd given 'recovery' long enough!  Finally managed to get an appointment this week with a GP who listened instead of brushing me off as a neurotic menopausal female.  And who then ran some tests.

Turns out my peak flow is about 3/4 of what it should be and she suspects asthma.  Apparantly, it's not uncommon for women to develop it for the first time when they go through the menopause as hormones are a known trigger and she said the chest infection could have kick started it.  I have to go for further tests to confirm the diagnosis, but she's given me an inhaler to use in the meantime - the first time I used it, I realised that I'd forgotten what normal breathing felt like - I've got so used to the breathlessness that what I've been thinking of as 'normal' breathing was actually anything but!  As a bonus, I don't have an issue with face coverings if I use the inhaler just before I put one on. 

I just wanted to share it with you ladies because I never dreamed it was possible to develop asthma in your mid 40s and I had no idea the menopause was a trigger.  So if you are getting more puffy and breathless than usual, please nag your GP for some tests.  It's only been a few days with the inhaler, but my husband commented yesterday that he feels like he's 'got his wife back'.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Asthma and the Menopause
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2021, 09:26:15 AM »

Tnx for the update.  My Dad developed asthma in his 60s for no apparent reason.

If GPs listeneded instead of assuming  >:(

Flossieteacake

« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2021, 09:38:15 AM »

I've been suffering from intermittent breathing difficulties for the past two years, since getting a severe chest infection just before Covid.  I was brushed off several times by my GP with 'it takes time to recover', but after two years, I felt I'd given 'recovery' long enough!  Finally managed to get an appointment this week with a GP who listened instead of brushing me off as a neurotic menopausal female.  And who then ran some tests.

Turns out my peak flow is about 3/4 of what it should be and she suspects asthma.  Apparantly, it's not uncommon for women to develop it for the first time when they go through the menopause as hormones are a known trigger and she said the chest infection could have kick started it.  I have to go for further tests to confirm the diagnosis, but she's given me an inhaler to use in the meantime - the first time I used it, I realised that I'd forgotten what normal breathing felt like - I've got so used to the breathlessness that what I've been thinking of as 'normal' breathing was actually anything but!  As a bonus, I don't have an issue with face coverings if I use the inhaler just before I put one on. 

I just wanted to share it with you ladies because I never dreamed it was possible to develop asthma in your mid 40s and I had no idea the menopause was a trigger.  So if you are getting more puffy and breathless than usual, please nag your GP for some tests.  It's only been a few days with the inhaler, but my husband commented yesterday that he feels like he's 'got his wife back'.

Wow, I could have written this myself! I too have been breathless for over a year. I started to develop a chesty cough and did some research and found out about a cough type asthma. I managed to get an inhaler from the Drs and feel so much better. It is not enough though and I am going to ask for a preventer too. Thank you for sharing this. It is very helpful. Since I have had the inhaler I sleep so much better. I am glad it has helped you too.

Ju Ju

« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2021, 05:54:21 PM »

I have had asthma since a months old. It was severe as a child, but I suspect modern medication would have made it more manageable. Suitable medication kept it under control when I was older. As long as I took my inhalers, I was fine, rarely needing to use a reliever inhaler.

But since the menopause, my asthma has worsened. The  reliever inhaler, salbutamol (Ventalin) no longer gives any relief. I’d like to know why! Hardly used it for years, so not a matter of getting used to it.  That was distressing as I wasn’t listened to, until a doctor did listen and did an appropriate test. Yep, it made no difference, just the side effects of course!  I’ve had to be hospitalised twice in the last few years, following infection. I take a stronger preventer inhaler, which can also be used as a reliever if necessary. Not fast acting though. The nature of my asthma has changed as well, which is frustrating as I don’t wheeze or cough. My breathing tubes feel as if they are being squeezed and that someone is standing on my chest. That makes it difficult for doctors to initially see how bad things are at times. I really don’t know what it is like not to have compromised breathing. It doesn’t spoil my life though!

Dorothy

« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2021, 06:09:44 PM »

I'm so sorry it's getting worse for you and that you have always had so much trouble.  :'( I have a couple of friends who have had severe asthma since childhood and been hospitalised multiple times, so I'm very thankful that, even at my worst, I'm not too bad.   But it does make me cross that it takes so long to get listened to.  I've been describing identical symptoms to doctors for months, and the most I've had is 'it's probably stress due to Covid'.   >:(

It's weird how much our hormones affect us - on the plus side, my psoriasis has almost vanished and that's definitely linked to hormones too - when I have loads of hot flushes, my psoriasis almost vanishes, and whenever the hot flushes subside, the psoriasis increases!

Ju Ju

« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2021, 10:06:39 PM »

I don’t get migraines anymore. Headaches, but not so debilitating.

My daughter has asthma, but didn’t respond to asthma meds, so she was told she didn’t have asthma, despite a very strong family history. She went to see a lady I used to see, a nutritionist, who helped her identify dairy and egg intolerance/allergy. She excluded them from her diet and her breathing improved and she responded to preventer inhalers, but not salbutamol. Dairy is often a problem for asthmatics, though not for me. Also wheat products can cause issues. Both my GS and DH had coughs for many months, which disappeared when wheat was excluded from their diets. Worth thinking about your diet. Intolerances seem to become more common from the onset of the menopause and can subtle.

Dorothy

« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2021, 11:15:36 PM »

Thanks, that's really  helpful - I have wondered about dairy as I sometimes seem to be worse after a lot of it (e.g. cauliflower cheese), so I'll try excluding it for a bit and see what happens.  Is any other type of milk likely to be ok (goat, sheep etc)?  I could cut out most dairy ok, but I HATE tea without milk and love my first cuppa of the day!

Gynaikeíos

« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2021, 05:34:34 AM »

https://www.asthma.org.uk/advice/triggers/

Hope this helps you, Dorothy. It does not look like dairy is a factor other than in children. Wine might be a culprit for adults  ;D

Kathleen

« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2021, 11:02:09 AM »

Hello ladies.

When I was diagnosed with Ulcerative Colitis I learned that some foods can cause inflammation. Additionally I understand that Oestrogen has an anti inflammatory effect so a decline in our hormones at menopause may make us vulnerable to auto immune diseases. It is perhaps no coincidence that my UC diagnosis occurred in the same month that I had my last period!

It is worth considering doing some research into anti inflammatory foods and experimenting with a change of diet.

Take care ladies.

K.

Ms Peak

« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2021, 06:50:09 PM »

Hi there.
I too was diagnosed with Asthma in perimenopause.
 Three years of shocking chest infections every three months! Finally as a retired nurse I insisted on referral to a respiritory practioner! I now use a fostair inhaler and never looked back.
I am also intolerate to cheese ...
Ms Peaks

Ju Ju

« Reply #10 on: December 05, 2021, 09:59:44 PM »

https://www.asthma.org.uk/advice/triggers/

Hope this helps you, Dorothy. It does not look like dairy is a factor other than in children. Wine might be a culprit for adults  ;D

I think my daughter would dispute that! She’s in her late 30s!

Both DH and my GS developed coughs that went on and on. My DH had a chest X-ray and my GS was about to be referred to a paediatrician as there was no obvious cause. Both tried excluding wheat ( DH making more fuss that GS!) Both stopped coughing, but start coughing if they eat wheat. With both it takes 2 or 3 days. Both coughs drove everyone up the wall!

Gynaikeíos

« Reply #11 on: December 06, 2021, 05:37:48 PM »

I am sorry for any implying that some adults do not find dairy their trigger of asthma. All I meant by posting the link is to show the asthma society says there are many categories for trigger in asthma. In the link is a category of women's hormones as well.

I have lost the reference to children's triggers but it was written that dairy is not automatically a trigger for adults. The comparison was with wine  :)