Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Not a Forum member? You can still subscribe to our Free Newsletter

media

Author Topic: Hormonal levels and flexible joints  (Read 1925 times)

Grumpymum

Hormonal levels and flexible joints
« on: December 01, 2021, 10:59:51 AM »

Bit of a strange question here! My 15 year old daughter has been having periods for about 2 years now. On a few occasions, in the week before her period starts she has fallen over or down the stairs. She says it feels like her ankle gives way. She said she doesn’t feel dizzy at the time, so it’s not fainting. It may be just a coincidence but I have wondered if they are connected.

She saw an OT about another matter and I mentioned it. She said my daughter isn’t hypermobile but has a lot of flex in her joints.

Now have I got my thoughts in a muddle?! I know when you are pregnant your joints become more flexible (to allow for giving birth). Are hormonal levels before a period similar to when pregnant? So are her hormones causing her joints to be even more flexible before a period? I couldn’t think where to ask the question and I know so many of you are so knowledgeable about all thinks hormonal so thought someone may be able to advise. Many thanks!

Emma

• Administrator
Re: Hormonal levels and flexible joints
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2021, 12:20:57 PM »

lesser-known side effects you might experience from time to time with PMS.

1. Clumsiness
If you feel more clumsy or awkward than usual during your period, it might be because your high estrogen levels affect your balance. According to Mary Jane Minkin, M.D. at Yale School of Medicine, high estrogen levels cause your liver to make hormones that affect the kidneys and lead to fluid retention in your body and brain. This makes it difficult for you to keep your balance during your period.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2021, 01:00:13 PM »

Interesting topic.

Certainly as oestrogen levels drop off muscles maybe come lax = aches and pains. 

Grumpymum

« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2021, 02:51:50 PM »

Thank you Emma and CLKD.

Since posting, I’ve found this on a hypermobile website :-
In females, it is quite a different story.  Although oestrogen tends to stabilise collagen, progestogens loosen it.  Many hypermobile patients, though not all, noticed a worsening in symptoms, more pain in the joints, clumsiness or a greater tendency to dislocate in the five days leading up to menstruation and in the few days after menstruation.  This is exactly the time when the progesterone compounds far exceed the stabilising oestrogen compounds.  This effect is most pronounced when the joint hypermobility is due mainly to collagen structure (the clue here is that all joints are almost equally lax throughout the body).  Where the hypermobility is a marker of unusually shaped bony surfaces at the joint (typically these individuals have very pronounced hypermobility at only a small number of joints), the effect of hormones is much less pronounced.

Those females whose joints become worse at the time of menstruation often note that if the periods become irregular, for whatever reason, joints not only become worse but, are worse for longer. This may be because in these patients progesterone is present in high concentrations at times when it would not normally be present.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2021, 04:08:40 PM »

Bugga - we're a strange breed aren't we  ;D

What does DD intend to do prior to her periods? 

Grumpymum

« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2021, 05:08:13 PM »

Not sure, CLKD! Be aware that she’s extra clumsy! Wrap herself in bubble wrap! Being serious, we had considered the Pill as she has painful periods, but I think that may make it worse as it’s progesterone I think. She’s got naproxen for a painful wrist which has done wonders for the painful periods so we’ve not gone down the Pill route currently. Any suggestions?

PeriWhat?!

« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2021, 11:58:09 AM »

Interesting! I've always been extra clumsy before a period and I've noticed that my teenage daughter is too.
I also remember reading something about Olympians and periods recently, this article talks about it a bit: https://www.independent.co.uk/life-style/women/tokyo-olympics-female-athletes-period-b1892748.html