Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Author Topic: Low dose hrt and period pain  (Read 1471 times)

Jaylow

Low dose hrt and period pain
« on: November 29, 2021, 10:29:06 PM »

I’m on 1 pump of estrogel and take utro 12 days a month. I’ve dropped down to this dosage from a previous higher one as I was getting heavy bleeds and a lot of pain with the bleeds.
I assumed that less estrogen would mean less build up and less bleeding.
The results so far have been - still heavy bleeding but the blood seems to be thinner, slightly more watery than thick. Pain is still bad, 1 to 2 days off my feet.
So not a great result really. I’m wondering if it’s the utrogestan that’s causing the problems. The next step will have to be coming off hrt altogether. I still have some natural periods but I think they’re not every month now.
Anyone else similar or anyone who has any ideas why I’m getting heavy bleeds and pain on just 1 pump?

Cookie25

Re: Low dose hrt and period pain
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2021, 10:49:36 PM »

Hi Jaylow

I have always presumed that it would be the increased eostrogen that would make PMT & bleeding worse but I'm no expert so hopefully someone knowledgeable will be along with a reply.

I'm really keen to hear the responses as im on the same regime as you but using more gel.

It does seem a very low dose, maybe you absorb well? Sorry I can't help but I'm sure others will xxxxx

Jaylow

« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2021, 10:58:28 PM »

Hi, yes I assumed that but hasn’t made much difference to me with lowering it.
It seems that I must absorb it re the bleeding being heavy, but I never felt that I absorbed it much in the way of it benefitting me. I felt like I needed a higher dose to feel better but I couldn’t risk a higher dose if it brought more pain and bleeding.

Cookie25

« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2021, 11:05:20 PM »

How long have you been on this regime altogether? And how many pumps for how long before changing amounts etc?

It seems with a lot of regimes that the unpleasant side effects do settle for a lot of ladies after a few months
Xxx

Jaylow

« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2021, 12:46:48 AM »

I was on 2.5 pumps for a couple of years. Gradually lowered it down over a few months and probably been at 1 pump for a couple of months.

VictoryV

« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2021, 01:17:41 AM »

Hi Jaylow, sorry you’re in pain. I thought the same as you and Cookie that the bleed would be less on such a low dose.

Did the pain/bleeding improve when you reduced the progesterone or were there any other improvements? I think I’d want to know if progesterone was the culprit and stop taking it for a month. Since you’re bleeding and on a low dose I don’t think a month off would matter and you might get a break over Christmas!

I’m on the same routine as you but with 4 pumps, my bleeds have been heavier than my naturals were, i’ve missed 2 and had two in one month.
Is your GP helpful? I’d definitely talk to my GP.

I hope things get better soon.
Victoria.xx
« Last Edit: November 30, 2021, 01:33:22 AM by VictoryV »

Nas

« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2021, 07:24:59 PM »

This bleeding is a right nuisance, you have my sympathy.

I’ve been on a medium dose patch for over a year and keep getting horrid bleeds. I’m sick of them.

In going for my second scan of the at year this week as I want to know what my wonb is doing. I’m thinking that the utrogestan isn’t sufficient to protect the endometrial lining, hence the bleed? If I’m okay and no nasties, then I’m going to request an alternative progesterone. I’m annoyed as I get on quite well with utrogestan and the patch dose I’m on, just about keeps me ticking.

Hope you get sorted soon x

Clairesk

• First Flush
« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2021, 08:10:07 PM »

I’m on 1 pump of estrogel and take utro 12 days a month. I’ve dropped down to this dosage from a previous higher one as I was getting heavy bleeds and a lot of pain with the bleeds.
I assumed that less estrogen would mean less build up and less bleeding.
The results so far have been - still heavy bleeding but the blood seems to be thinner, slightly more watery than thick. Pain is still bad, 1 to 2 days off my feet.
So not a great result really. I’m wondering if it’s the utrogestan that’s causing the problems. The next step will have to be coming off hrt altogether. I still have some natural periods but I think they’re not every month now.
Anyone else similar or anyone who has any ideas why I’m getting heavy bleeds and pain on just 1 pump?

Hi, I’m so sorry to hear you have been having so much pain. I’m no expert but from my experience, I think the pain and bleeds are caused by the utrogestan levels and not your oestrogen.

I was really similar - in fact I just couldn’t cope with the pain levels when taking the Utrogestan at all! Varying the oestrogen number of pumps made no difference. Initially I did what you have done - reduced the utrogestan dose to 12 days, which was not really much better. What really helped me was using the utrogestan vaginally rather than taking it orally. It means you can halve the dose as it is being delivered more directly to where it needs to be. That’s was the only thing that really lowered the pain levels so that they were manageable for me. It still hurts, but it’s nothing like it was before when I was taking max levels of paracetamol and ibuprofen and it just wasn’t touching it…!

I’m sure there are other experts on here that will help you, but I just wanted to tell you my experience in case it helps :)

Hope you manage to regulate things and feel better really soon.

Jaylow

« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2021, 03:11:22 PM »

Just to clarify, I’m taking 1 x utro vaginally. I have taken 1 tablet instead of 2 for a few months now even before I reduced the gel, so I can’t say if I think it’s the utro or not. But the reason I already lowered the dose was because I feel awful on it, it dries out my skin and eyes and makes me itch.

Another thing I notice is that after I’ve applied the gel, not too long after and I bleed. Then later it stops. It’s like the gel is going straight through me.

Finally, I can say that this bleed was shorter in days than previously. Still heavy and painful for day 1-2 then tapered off faster than usual.
I’m still unsure where I’m going with it all but for now I’m staying with 1 pump or less. I don’t feel any worse for lowering my gel.

VictoryV

« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2021, 06:03:24 PM »

Hi Jaylow, I remember your posts about the itching being really bad. Has the itching stopped or really improved since you’ve reduced the Utrogestan?

Good to hear the last bleed was a bit easier and that you don’t feel worse from reducing the gel. It sounds like things might be stabilising.

Jaylow

« Reply #10 on: December 02, 2021, 06:46:56 PM »

Victoriav

The itching was from urticaria which I sadly still have. The itching from utro feels different it’s like a dried out skin itch. But yes i have hope that things might be stabilising a little.

Donna-paul

« Reply #11 on: December 02, 2021, 07:09:07 PM »

There’s been a lot women who are experiencing problems with estrogel as they seemed to have done something to it. I had been on it 4 years never had breakthrough bleeding till they keep changing the bottles iI even had to have a biopsy which was all clear I now have changed to Sandrena gel and no bleeding. Google menopause Drs they are all taking about. I have reported on the yellow card same when they changed it to estrodose it caused problems.

VictoryV

« Reply #12 on: December 02, 2021, 10:02:45 PM »

Victoriav

The itching was from urticaria which I sadly still have. The itching from utro feels different it’s like a dried out skin itch. But yes i have hope that things might be stabilising a little.
Hi J, I didn’t realise you are dealing with urticaria on top of everything else, one type of itching is maddening enough without another thrown in and bad pain. I really, really feel for you and hope you get relief very soon. Sending hugs. V.xx