Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Author Topic: biopsy  (Read 936 times)

helenc

biopsy
« on: December 07, 2021, 03:22:46 PM »

hi - following on from my previous post where a trans vaginal scan showed a thickening of the endrometrium and possible polyp - it looks like I may have to have a biopsy and blood test on Friday as I have just been given an appointment with the consultant - I am beyond terrified (I have generalised anxiety disorder) and although I am going to go to the appointment part of me feels what's the point since if they find anything I dont want anything else done anyway - I am not sure how to cope with all of this
- has anyone had this done?

Ana21

Re: biopsy
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2021, 02:02:22 PM »

Hi helenc!

If you're having a Pipelle biopsy, the process only takes a few minutes.  A speculum is inserted into your vagina, the cervix is cleaned with an antiseptic solution and a numbing spray or other local anaesthetic may be applied to your cervix.  A forceps-like instrument may be used to hold your cervix steady and you may feel some mild cramping when it's applied.  I found this the most uncomfortable part of the process. The Pipelle (a thin, flexible suction curette used for minimally invasive tissue collection) is gently inserted through the cervix and into the uterus.  The Pipelle is gently moved back and forth to obtain a sample which causes some cramping, but it only takes a minute.  It's exactly the same pain as a period, because the pain is caused by the same muscles of the uterus contracting.  It's a fast procedure and the discomfort doesn't last long.

I had a biopsy during a check-in visit due to continued spotting at 6 months.  The doctor suggested we do it while I was there, so I didn't have any warning and didn't have any anticipatory anxiety.  I also didn't haven't the benefit of any pain relievers before the procedure and I experienced only mild cramping. My doctor was very efficient and worked fast.  I was on and off the table in a few minutes.  Some vaginal spotting or bleeding is common following the procedure, so take a liner or pad to your appointment.  Some women experience mild cramping in the following day or two.  If you need a painkiller, you can use whatever you would normally use for period pains.  I didn't need to take anything after the procedure and I was fine the next day.

Anxiety can heighten pain perception, so deep breaths and try to relax.  I hope your procedure is as uncomplicated and minimally uncomfortable as mine was.

helenc

« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2021, 04:19:11 PM »

thank you very much for explaining this - I guess the waiting doesnt help

Ana21

« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2021, 08:46:58 PM »

Some women are advised to take ibuprofen 30-60 min before the procedure.  That can help with the cramping.  If you become too uncomfortable or the process becomes painful, you can always ask the doctor to stop.  You're in control.  If the doctor knows you suffer from generalised anxiety disorder, s/he will make more of an effort to talk you through it.  Cramping is normal and you've experienced that in the past. 

Anticipation of pain and bad news is a recipe for anxiety.  You have GAD so you've had to develop some good strategies for dealing with stressful situations.  You'll get through this.