Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Mobile version of the Forum Click here

media

Author Topic: Coealic disease  (Read 2066 times)

Elliebee

Coealic disease
« on: November 09, 2021, 08:39:06 AM »

Hi anyone diagnosed with Coealic disease during peri menopause? I have had a positive blood test for Coealic disease and now awaiting an endoscopy. Having to continue to eat gluten which is making me feel horribly 😬

jaypo

Re: Coealic disease
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2021, 08:47:41 AM »

Hi,my Aunt was diagnosed with coeliac and I have a wheat allergy,I know that's not the same as coeliacs but like you,if I eat wheat, I become really ill,were you feeling better after cutting gluten out?

Elliebee

« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2021, 09:11:27 AM »

Yes I felt better (or at least I think I did ) for the 2 weeks I cut gluten out . GP advised me to go gluten free which is wrong advice as I need to keep eating gluten until all tests complete!

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2021, 09:53:59 AM »

Morning.  How long until the tests are completed?  Nothing is worth feeling ill for. 

Let us know how you get on.

jaypo

« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2021, 10:25:42 AM »

Yep, I think eating foods with gluten is the only way to get a true reading unfortunately but then,if you are diagnosed with coeliac they then just tell you to cut gluten out so,I'm not sure sometimes if it's worth making yourself poorly.There is no way I could eat even a slice of toast as I'd be sick and have horrific stomach pain.Hope you get it sorted soon

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2021, 10:34:53 AM »

In the mean time have a lookC on the supermarket shelves, most have 'free from' areas these days.  Also, do you cook?  I am sure that there are recipes and support groups on line. 

Elliebee

« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2021, 11:42:49 AM »

They suggest being on a gluten diet for 6 weeks before endoscope. However, my consultant said 3- 4 weeks for me as I’d only stopped eating gluten for 2 weeks which would not have resulted in an significant repair to intestine if it has been damaged. Just waiting on a date .

sheila99

« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2021, 01:57:39 PM »

I don't understand the reasoning? If you've already been diagnosed surely it would make sense to go gluten free now? Is the endoscopy going to add anything they don't already know? Seems a bit unethical to me if they don't need it for the diagnosis.

CrispyChick

« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2021, 02:26:25 PM »

My sister is coeliac and I was tested 18 months ago. The blood test is only an indicator, the endoscopy gives the true diagnosis.

That said, I have a friend who stopped eating gluten off the back of the blood test. It can however be more difficult to acquire future assistance with scans etc.. If you don't have the endoscopic diagnosis.

Tinkerbell

« Reply #9 on: November 09, 2021, 02:39:23 PM »

My son was diagnosed with coeliac disease when he was 16 months old, he was a very sick little boy, weighing just 12 lbs. I guess it is the same as back then as they looked for the flattened villi which is the sign of coeliac disease. So very important to keep the gluten foods going.

jillydoll

• Hiya
« Reply #10 on: November 11, 2021, 03:47:20 PM »

I’m being tested for that too.
My scan is the 22nd.
I stopped all gluten, felt better for it, at first, although I’m still not right, but my GP said I’d have to go back on it for about 6 weeks before a blood test. He’s testing me for IBD, so, crohns, & ulcerative colitis too. I’ve already given in my stool sample. So waiting for results now.
It’s so painful isn’t it? Makes us feel so poorly.
Hope you feel better soon Elliebee. xx

Elliebee

« Reply #11 on: November 25, 2021, 09:28:37 PM »

Hi jillydoll how did your scan go?