Advanced search  

News:

Mobile version of the Forum Click here

media

Author Topic: SSRI's  (Read 1611 times)

Cassie

SSRI's
« on: November 24, 2021, 03:20:37 PM »

Hi Ladies, I have been on HRT for many years. I am going through a particularly stressful period of my life & really struggling to control my constant sadness & tears. My GP suggested I take a course of SSRI meds, I have never had these before. My mom always took Valium for as long as I can remember, just a half a tablet a day. Is that something I could ask him about or is Valium one of the older anti anxiety meds. She never seemed to experienced any side effects. I dont think my issue is anxiety though its more a constant sadness and feeling of being rock bottom due to a very difficult few years. Any input would be greatly appreciated, I am really concerned about side effects & have never been great at remembering to take my meds, not even my thyroid tabs.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: SSRI's
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2021, 04:47:38 PM »

Firstly: mayB buy yourself a proper pill dispenser which are designed for weekly/monthly reminder: some have boxes for 4 times a day, 3 times etc.; all good Pharmacies will sell them. They are made in an assortment of colours.  It's no good expecting medication to ease symptoms if you don't take it!  It could in fact be dangerous, is your GP aware?   MayB set an alarm clock to remind you when to take it?  Either on the mobile .... or a clock close by; my friend has 3 that go off when necessary.  They are automatic alarms so she doesn't have to remember to reset each night.  She runs a busy household as well as keeping llamas  ::)

B4 going on holiday I sort my meds into the dispenser to pack into the case, because I am really good at forgetting ......... I always add an extra day too ;-), as well as caring a copy of my prescription in case we get stuck anywhere.  Years ago I left my meds here, got to Scotland and needed to speak to a Pharmacist: who gave me enough for the time we were there so now I carry my prescription.  I have been taking anti-depressant medication since 1989.  An emergency Psychiatrist recognised that I have a 22 month cyclic depressive illness.

I had my first panic attack at age 3.  So I have an emergency drug to take 'as necessary'.   My GP also gave me beta-blockas (Propranolol) to ease anxiety surges.  For me, both conditions are totally different.

ADs need to be taken as prescribed in order to allow them to work, if it's on/off you can feel worse than awful. 

Valium is a totally different medication.  It was years ago, issued to ease anxiety and many became addicted.  In the 1980s I was prescribed it for high levels of anxiety; initially 10mg 3 times a day, then 5mg twice a day then 5mg as necessary.  I found it really useful to take the evening before an event I was unable to get out of, knowing that I could take 5mg the next day: I never required it.  It make me slightly hung over and weary but it took away that awful surge of anxiety. Because I knew it worked, I never had to rely on an extra dose 'in case'.

I now take Escitalopram 10mg at night and 5mg in the morning.  When the depression hits in the morning for more than 3 days, I up the dose to 10/10.  My GP is aware that I sometimes require that extra boost to lift the mood.  I didn't want to take ADs but there was no way of finding out causation and once my brain symptoms eased, DH and I have a Life together. 

Side-effects can be awful, I won't be dishonest.  For me it was intense nausea - many however, don't feel any side-effects at all. MayB begin any new medication on a Friday evening if you aren't working over a weekend? 

I would suggest at least 6 months treatment with anti-depressant medication as well as continuing with the HRT.  Some ladies do require both to keep them feeling well.  Let us know how you get on.  Do U keep a mood/food/symptom diary, it can chart progress which is useful.