Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 76 out now. (Summer issue, June 2024)

media

Author Topic: Mirena and age  (Read 876 times)

Daisybunny

• First Flush
Mirena and age
« on: November 28, 2021, 01:42:44 PM »

Hello everyone. I am 60 and have had a Mirena for 3 years, along with 2 pumps daily of Estrogel. I initially got the Mirena after having bleeding followed by polyps removed - no more trouble since then. This is working well but I know I am due to have the Mirena replaced next year and am not sure if I should go ahead due to my age, or if I should start trying to come off HRT now. Is there an upper age limit for Mirena? Also, if I got the Mirena replaced then came off the Estrogel altogether, is it safe to keep the Mirena in with no oestrogen being taken alongside it? (Someone told me it would still help prevent polyps/bleeding)
Fingers crossed someone can advise. Thanks in advance.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Mirena and age
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2021, 02:38:31 PM »

Hi! why stop an HRT regime if it works?  There is no upper limit even if GPs aren't in agreement that ladies continue with treatment.

Try putting 'mirena coil' into the search box.  See what pops up. Make notes ;-)

Menocrazy

« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2021, 01:30:21 PM »

I would have a word with your GP/consultant. I was told they assume after 55 you are not using it for contraception because of menopause and it that case in can be active up to 7 years or more. It is guaranteed for contraception for up to 5 years I thought. So maybe if everything  feels balanced you might have a couple more years before you have to make a decision.

sheila99

« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2021, 04:58:48 PM »

I don't think there's an age limit for the mirena though if you have VA you may prefer something else. I thought it lasted 4 years for contraception and 5 years for hrt? As long as you get on with it there's no reason to remove it when you stop oestrogen, though no reason to leave it in either. There used to be an age limit of 60 for hrt but now there is no age limit (quote the NICE guidelines if your GP is out of date). Certainly you can come off it and see if your symptoms return, it's up to you. Maybe reduce to one pump and see what happens?