Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 76 out now. (Summer issue, June 2024)

media

Author Topic: Utrogestan feeling wired.... not sleeping advice...  (Read 880 times)

Goingcrazy2021

• First Flush
Utrogestan feeling wired.... not sleeping advice...
« on: November 22, 2021, 05:22:31 PM »

Hi all...

Newbie here! 48yrs old and peri-menopause.... I recently started 1 pump of oestradiol gel and 3 days later I started Utrogestan 200mg pills orally once a day for 12 days.  I didn't notice anything on the gel and the utrogenstan was fine initially but on day 10 I started to feel really wired and jittery like I'd had WAY too much caffeine. This led to me not sleeping (which is really bad for me as I get awful sleep anxiety if I don't sleep), after a few really bad nights which caused my anxiety to rocket I decided to stop HRT altogether and maybe reassess in a few months and try the mirena coil and the gel.

I stopped all HRT a week ago now and I'm still feeling unsettled at night - not sure if this is the HRT/progesterone withdrawal or just my sleep anxiety.... I've had to increase my amitriptyline dose just to cope with it which I hate doing.... I'm underweight too (only 6.5stone and 5ft 1" - and after reading various reports on here about people not coping well with Utrogestan 200mg orally, I'm wondering if I'm feeling it more as I'm so petite??

I only used the HRT for 1.5 weeks so how long should I expect till I go back to how I was before I started and my hormones rebalance?
Any help/advice much appreciated!! 

Floo36

Re: Utrogestan feeling wired.... not sleeping advice...
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2021, 08:21:36 AM »

Hi, the HRT would be out of your system in about 24 hours so out by now. From my own experience it sounds like symptoms are your declining Estrogen and also fluctuations, it’s the symptoms of peri meno I’m afraid.  Can you persevere with the HRT and see if it settles?

Hurdity

Re: Utrogestan feeling wired.... not sleeping advice...
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2021, 09:08:42 AM »

Hi goingcrazy

:welcomemm:

Sorry to hear about your symptoms.

You say you are peri-menopausal - can you tell us what that means in terms of your periods and cycle - how often they are, regular/irregular, how heavy etc, how long you have been experiencing changes in your cycle - if you have?

What are the symptoms that have led you to try HRT? ALso I am wondering why you started the utrogestan after only 3 days - was this to tie in with your bleed cycle?

It's best actually not to start the progesterone straight away so that you can see how you feel on the oestrogen alone. You might be right about the Utrogestan and being petite - it could well be far too much for you althoigh it is needed to protect the womb.

Not sure about the amitriptyline? Do you have another condition for which you are taking that? Maybe not wise to increase without doc advice unless doc has said OK. I was prescribed it once for gynaecological nerve pain but had a look at the leaflet and decided not to take it!

Hurdity x