Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 76 out now. (Summer issue, June 2024)

media

Author Topic: Personality change - don't recognise myself  (Read 1005 times)

SarahLou68

Personality change - don't recognise myself
« on: November 22, 2021, 12:03:26 PM »

Hi all
I'm not sure if anyone can help me, don't know who I am anymore.  Has anyone else found that their personality and behavior have changed?  Things that I used to sail through have now become huge obstacles and my anxiety levels are off the scale.  I have never experienced anxiety like it before (usually I'm very easy going and even tempered).  I am currently waiting for a hysterectomy because of unmanageable bleeding and was taking Utovlan.  I have stopped taking it as I was so anxious it made me jittery and shaky.  I forget whole conversations and get so worried when I have to admit I don't remember things.  I have a weekend away with a group of my friends coming up and I am so anxious I don't actually want to go.  Normally I would be really excited about it.  I feel like I have lost me, just want to cry all the time and feel like I am going mad..

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Personality change - don't recognise myself
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2021, 01:34:26 PM »

It's hormonal upheaval.   You aren't going mad.   Is going away putting extra pressure on how you feel right now?  Could you explain and mayB pick a support buddy in your group?  Or cancel.  That will take 1 issue away.

How is your diet?   I was advised to eat every 3 hours to keep blood sugar levels even, a drop can cause anxiety surges.  That is every 3 hours, 24/7.

Has HRT been discussed prior to your surgery?  If not, get an appt. with the Consultant and talk, talk, talk.  So many leaves ladies high and dry without even considering that women will require hormonal support!

VictoryV

Re: Personality change - don't recognise myself
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2021, 02:12:29 PM »

Hi SL,
Sorry things are very, very tough right now. I totally understand not recognising ourselves, forgetting basic stuff and horrific anxiety all leading to thinking I had got dementia etc. it’s terrifying.
Oestrogel, progesterone and testosterone got me to safety. Once I could sleep everything started to get back to normal-ish, enough to be able to see clearly.
I cancelled/avoided everything that caused anxiety. I didn’t have any choice. Can you confide in two trusted people so that they can take all pressure off you?
I’m sorry I’m not much help, it will get better, you’re not going mad.
Hugs, Victoria.x