Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 76 out now. (Summer issue, June 2024)

media

Author Topic: Post coil fit pain  (Read 858 times)

Chrixx

Post coil fit pain
« on: November 18, 2021, 06:34:41 AM »

Hi all I had a mirena coil fitted 2 days ago.  It was painful. I don't remember my last one hurting so much.  I had a sharp breath taking pain in my right side as nurse opened coil up and had cramps today which aren't better with naproxen.. it's this normal? Nurse said she could have hit a nerve.. what exactly does that mean? Third day today and also bloated. I wanted to use the coil as HRT a had good experience in past but cannot remember getting pain or bloating last time.

Dierdre

Re: Post coil fit pain
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2021, 07:07:41 AM »

My first coil used for contraception many years ago left me with period like cramps for about 12 hours then fine until i had it removed 2 years later when we decided on a family. The second one I had was different, constant pain on movement, cramps for a few days then finally my body ejected it. It had been fitted badly and I went straight to the doctor's to have it removed, it was half way out anyway. I would go back and check its fitted properly.  If it is it might just need a while to settle, its like a foreign body and sometimes your body will try to reject it.

PeriWhat?!

« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2021, 12:05:01 PM »

Have you still got a sharp pain now? If it was me I'd call the nurse if poss to ask for advice as her comment about hitting a nerve wasn't very helpful. GP if you can't talk to the nurse.

I had my first one fitted almost three weeks ago for HRT. I was told by the nurse to expect some pain and cramps and bleeding, so when it happened it didn't seem as bad as I'd been anticipating, if that makes sense? I'm still getting minor cramps, like period pain, on and off, and have had a light bleed ever since, so I'm interested to hear how it goes for others. I don't have sharp pain, for me, that would be worth getting checked out straight away.

LSmarty

« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2021, 09:08:20 AM »

Hi

I've had the mirena fitted previously with no problems, no pains, no periods or cramping.
However I had a new one fitted 3 weeks ago today which was really painful and I've bled ever since, have cramps all day every day.  I'm wondering why too and what to do next?

Les xox