Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Author Topic: Everything really - don't know where to turn. First post so apologies  (Read 858 times)

dee.73

• First Flush

Just joined. 48 perimenopausal, just come off Novofem because of bloating and weight gain, only to discover I probably should not have been on it as still having regular periods but my GP won't refer me to a local menopause clinic. This grates because he's the one who put me on Novofem despite regular periods. HRT really helped but the bloating/weight gain was a real thing despite everything I read saying HRT doesn't cause weight gain (I gained 20lbs over 2 years, I've lost 6lbs already in the 2 weeks since I last took it, so significant amount) can anyone advise and does anyone know of a good sequential for someone with regular periods which won't put a significant amount of weight on. At no point prior to or during treatment did my GP take my blood pressure or weight.  He just keeps stating, HRT doesn't cause weight gain.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Everything really - don't know where to turn. First post so apologies
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2021, 02:45:49 PM »

Change your GP.  Speak to your Practice Manager to find out if there is one who is interested in women's health and knows about HRT.  He shouldn't refuse you an appt. to a menopause clinic - have a lookC if there is one close by and refer yourself.  Do read Louise Newsom's website too.

:welcomemm:   I wish that we could report these GPs who have no interest about gaining knowledge about peri-menopause.   >:(. Some ladies find that keeping a mood/food/symptom diary useful to chart progress.  Do read the threads about 'bladder issues' and 'vaginal atrophy'.  Also, no lady is ever too young!

My GP does a health check each year, BP and the Pharmacist rings every 6 months to check my medication requirements.  Browse round.  Make notes ;-)

Ask away!

sheila99

« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2021, 09:41:50 PM »

None of them are supposed to cause weight gain. He should have tested your BP first before you went on hrt. Transdermal is safer than oral so you could ask for a patch or gel, just make sure you're given a sequi not a conti regime. Have a look at the Treatments tab.
It's unusual for hrt to cause weight gain so hopefully you'll be OK with the next one. Have you ruled out other things such as thyroid problems?

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2021, 09:25:13 AM »

? polycystic ovaries ?    A full blood count: iron levels, VitD levels, Thyroid function - would be useful .  Something to raise with the Practice Nurse perhaps?